Unexpected white light interference pattern

In summary, Nicky is asking for help with setting up an interferometer to measure the thickness of a glass plate using white light interference. After setting up the interferometer, they found that the interference pattern was not what was expected and was only visible around the white light spot. They are unsure why the interference pattern is weak compared to the spot and why there are four extinctions visible. They are using a Michelson-interferometer with a white light source attached to a fiber and a collimator lens. The glass plate, which is approximately 1-2 millimeters thick, would replace one of the mirrors on the translation stage.
Nickyvl
Dear fellow Physicists,

For my project I wanted to measure the thickness of a glass plate with white light interference. Before being able to measure, I had to setup an interferometer. Unlike with a Laser, with white light it is hard to find the interference pattern since the coherence length is only a micrometer. Finally, after setting up the interferometer I was able to look for the interference pattern but unfortunately it was not what was expected. Attached are two pictures of the interference pattern that was found.
For this interferometer a white light source with fiber, A 10mm N-BK7 Beam splitter and two round silver mirrors were used.
The pictures show that the interference pattern is only visible around the white light spot, instead of the spot being part of the interference pattern. Now, my quetion is, why is the interference pattern so weak compared to the spot? And why are these four extinctions visible (marked in the edited picture). May it be because of bad alignment? Or is there any other cause?

Hopefully someone is able to help me.Nicky

Attachments

• 20150108_165401.jpg
    20150108_165401.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 452
  • Aangepast.jpg
    Aangepast.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Nick, welcome to PF :)

Won't it be difficult to measure a path length difference if the coherence length is only a micrometer ? What is the setup ?

Hi! Thanks for replying,
The goal is to measure the exact thickness of a glass plate. An estimation of the thickness can be made, after which you can search for the interference pattern from the reflection near that point. Yes it is indeed very hard to find the 0 OPD point with my setup. The setup is an Michelson-interferometer with a white light source with attached fiber, which is coupled in the setup with a collimator lens.

Info with the picture (it is Dutch):
Wit licht bron = white light source
Glasvezel=fiber
(translatie)spiegel = (translation)mirror

The detector can be, as seen in the thread picture, a white paper or can be a spectrometer, coupled out the same way as the light is coupled in(fiber+collimating lens).

Still, my greatest question is, why can i not see the interference pattern in the spot. I hope you can help me.

Sincerely.
Nicky

Attachments

• Opstelling - kopie.png
    Opstelling - kopie.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 529
Where is the glass plate? And how thick (approximately) is it?

mfb said:
Where is the glass plate? And how thick (approximately) is it?
The glass plate would replace the mirror on the translation stage. It's thickness is 1 or 2 milimeters, something like that.

It replaces the mirror? So you work with reflections at the front and back of the glass plate, together with reflections at the other mirror?

Yes, i would replace the mirror and use the reflection(4%) from the glass. I will compensate this intensity difference with a filter in the other arm.

Related to Unexpected white light interference pattern

1. What is an unexpected white light interference pattern?

An unexpected white light interference pattern is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more light waves overlap and interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of light and dark bands. This pattern is typically observed when using a device such as a diffraction grating or a double-slit apparatus.

2. How is an unexpected white light interference pattern different from a regular interference pattern?

An unexpected white light interference pattern is different from a regular interference pattern in that it involves a mixture of different wavelengths of light. This results in a pattern of multi-colored bands, as opposed to the monochromatic bands observed in a regular interference pattern.

3. What causes an unexpected white light interference pattern?

An unexpected white light interference pattern is caused by the superposition of light waves with different wavelengths. When these waves overlap, they interfere with each other in a way that produces a pattern of light and dark bands.

4. Can an unexpected white light interference pattern be predicted?

No, an unexpected white light interference pattern cannot be predicted with certainty. This is because the exact wavelengths and intensities of the light waves used in the experiment may vary, leading to different interference patterns.

5. What applications does an unexpected white light interference pattern have?

An unexpected white light interference pattern has various applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and microscopy. It can be used to study the properties of light, measure the wavelengths of different sources of light, and even determine the structure of molecules and materials.