Dandelion turned white in elevator light

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of a yellow dandelion appearing white when viewed from a certain angle in a yellow light. One person asks for an explanation and another person provides a possible answer, stating that the dandelion reflects mostly yellow light and appears white in a yellow light environment.
Tachyonie
Today I was outside to get some grass for my rabbit. I took some yellow dandelions too, but as I entered the elevator I noticed a strange phenomenon. The elevators light was yellow (the typical light bulb) and when I looked at the flower of the dandelion it was yellow as you would exect it to be, but when I turned it / looked at it from an angle, it appeared to be white as a snow.

Whats causing this?

Science news on Phys.org
Huh? I thought this is going to be an easy question which is going to take couple of minutes to answer :X
Anyone able to answer my question please?

Something looks yellow if, out of all the colors in white light (sunlight) it reflects mostly yellow. If you take it into a room (elevator) where the light is mostly yellow to begin with, you will see no difference between it and a "white" background and it will look white.

Cheers! Thank you.

1. Why did the dandelion turn white in the elevator light?

The dandelion turned white in the elevator light due to a process called phototropism. This is when plants respond to light by changing their physical appearance, such as the color of their petals.

2. Is it normal for dandelions to change color in light?

Yes, it is normal for dandelions and many other plants to change color in response to light. This is a natural process and is vital for the plant's survival.

3. What causes the dandelion to turn white specifically in the elevator light?

The elevator light emits a specific type of light called fluorescent light. This type of light contains a high amount of blue wavelengths, which triggers the dandelion's phototropism response and causes it to turn white.

4. Will the dandelion stay white or will it change back to its original color?

The dandelion will eventually change back to its original color once it is no longer exposed to the elevator light. This process can take a few hours or a few days, depending on the intensity and duration of the light exposure.

5. Can this color change in dandelions be harmful to them?

No, the color change in dandelions due to light exposure is a natural and harmless process. It does not affect the health or growth of the plant in any way.