Dangers of Living Above a Dental Office?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brm629
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    X-ray
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
brm629
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have the opportunity to rent an apartment directly above a dental office. I'm wondering about the disadvantages to doing that.

In particular, I'm wondering if the radiation from their X-Ray machine can travel into my apartment.

I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
brm629 said:
Hello,

I have the opportunity to rent an apartment directly above a dental office. I'm wondering about the disadvantages to doing that.

In particular, I'm wondering if the radiation from their X-Ray machine can travel into my apartment.

I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks in advance!
I don't know what the planning laws in the states are, but in the UK a X-ray room must pass a X-ray penetration test. If the room has windows they must be fitted with triple leaded plate glass. My local dentist has flats above the surgery and I don't think there are any problems. The size of NOX bottles are also restricted.
I remember as a kid that shoe shops in the UK had X-ray machines to make sure the shoes were a good fit. I remember wriggling my toes whilst looking into the screen with awe! Anyone else remember these or are you all young whipper-snappers?
 
brm629 said:
Hello,

I have the opportunity to rent an apartment directly above a dental office. I'm wondering about the disadvantages to doing that.

In particular, I'm wondering if the radiation from their X-Ray machine can travel into my apartment.

I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks in advance!
The dental X-ray is very low intensity and narrowly focused - at the patient. It is unlikely that X-rays would scatter into the apartment below. I would expect a normal, background radiation level in the apartment.

The X-ray machine would be used intermittently, and not during the night or off-hours, so I don't think there is any concerns to worry about.
 
brm629 said:
Hello,
I have the opportunity to rent an apartment directly above a dental office. I'm wondering about the disadvantages to doing that.

Screams of "tormented victims"? :)

Every time I think about dentists' work, I imagine how nearly every day they have to deal with patients who are hysterically afraid of dental medicine. I asked about that, and doctor confirmed that at least 20% of patients are like that.
 
I remember those X-ray machines as well - scary to think of them now!
 
Yes, I wiggled my toes way too many times, because it was so much fun, and I ain't got foot cancer yet, almost seventy years later.