Dark Matter theoretical research

In summary: Sometimes this research is done in collaboration with experimentalists, in order to try to get their input on the most promising models.
kelly0303
Hello! I am currently applying for graduate schools in the USA and during my undergraduate career I was mainly involved in Dark Matter research. However, my research focused on testing different models (experimentally or using numerical simulations) and doing some basic calculations, basically working with stuff that's already there. I would like to work on theoretical physics and despite the fact that my work was focused only on certain dark matter models, I can see there are plenty of different models out there, some of them originals some of them variations of old ones. Now I am wondering how realistic is it for someone to come up with an actual new idea in the field (and of course I don't mean Arkani-Hamed or Lisa Randall)? I feel like I am going towards a field where, despite the fact the we have almost no direct experimental evidence, we have so many theories that I won't be able to make a significant contribution. Any advise on this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Coming up with new models is not all a theoretical physicist working on dark matter does. A lot of time is spent on deducing the phenomenology of different classes of dark matter models. Most of the research done is not paradigm shifting, but rather pushing the current state just a little bit forward. Of course, if you want your work to be "significant" in the sense of you giving a contribution that is a large part of the field, then you should not go into a field where a lot of people have been and are working. However, going into fields where people are not working also is likely to mean that not many will care about what you do unless you come up with something that is truly groundbreaking and has implications for that and other fields. I would suggest that you instead follow your interests. Personally, I like to follow the field and to be part of the venture of trying to decode the mystery in an active field. And people are paying me to do it! What more can you ask for?

Orodruin said:
Coming up with new models is not all a theoretical physicist working on dark matter does. A lot of time is spent on deducing the phenomenology of different classes of dark matter models. Most of the research done is not paradigm shifting, but rather pushing the current state just a little bit forward. Of course, if you want your work to be "significant" in the sense of you giving a contribution that is a large part of the field, then you should not go into a field where a lot of people have been and are working. However, going into fields where people are not working also is likely to mean that not many will care about what you do unless you come up with something that is truly groundbreaking and has implications for that and other fields. I would suggest that you instead follow your interests. Personally, I like to follow the field and to be part of the venture of trying to decode the mystery in an active field. And people are paying me to do it! What more can you ask for?
Thank you for this! It's actually a great answer. Just to make sure, by "phenomenology" do you mean how different models would fit in our current understanding i.e. Standard Model, DM relic abundance and how is this related to experimental data?

Phenomenology research is the research done to set limits on different models using current data (often using data from different experimental collaborations) and to predict the sensitivity of future experiments to such models.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that is believed to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to traditional telescopes and very difficult to detect.

2. How is dark matter studied?

Dark matter is studied through a combination of observational and theoretical research. Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as gravitational lensing and studying the rotation of galaxies, to indirectly detect the presence of dark matter. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to understand and predict the behavior of dark matter.

3. What are some proposed theories about the nature of dark matter?

There are several theories about the nature of dark matter, but the most widely accepted one is the Cold Dark Matter (CDM) model. This theory suggests that dark matter is made up of particles that move slowly and do not interact with each other or with regular matter, except through gravity.

4. How does dark matter impact the universe?

Dark matter plays a crucial role in the structure and evolution of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the formation of galaxies and plays a major role in the large-scale structure of the universe. Without dark matter, the universe would look very different and many of the structures we see today would not exist.

5. What are some current challenges in studying dark matter?

One of the biggest challenges in studying dark matter is its elusive nature and the fact that it does not interact with regular matter. This makes it incredibly difficult to detect and study directly. Additionally, there is still much that is unknown about the properties and behavior of dark matter, making it a complex and ongoing area of research.