Quantum Computing masters with Theoretical physics background

In summary, the conversation discusses the criteria for choosing a masters program in quantum computing from a physics background. The criteria include a quantum computing group with experimental realizations and industrial ties, a strong theoretical physics department, a good chance of fully-funded scholarship, a good ranking, and prospects for a theoretical physics PhD or an industrial job. The individual is interested in both theoretical physics and quantum computing and hopes to have the option to choose between academia or industry after completing their masters. They also mention a summer school that may be of interest and share a link to a list of top quantum computing masters and PhD programs in 2022. The conversation also clarifies that the individual is not yet a PhD student and the date of the list is June 6
I want to do a masters related to quantum computing from a physics background and my criteria for the place is:

1. A quantum computing group with experimental realizations and
industrial ties.
2. A strong theoretical physics department with research in fundamental physics
3. A good chance of fully-funded scholarship, given research experience in undergrad and good enough GRE and Physics GRE scores for international students
4. Good enough ranking
5. Prospects for a theoretical physics PhD (academia on scholarship) or pivoting to industrial job if needed.

The thought behind it is that, I have interest in theoretical physics and quantum computing, I must be able to choose academia for theoretical physics or industry making QC upon the completion of masters.

Physics news on Phys.org
anuttarasammyak said:
I happened to find an announcement of summer school
https://www.ggi.infn.it/showevent.pl?id=436
which might be of your interest.
"The school is addressed to PhD students in quantum information science, particle physics and condensed matter" I am not a Phd student yet. Haven't even done my masters :( Thanks for sharing tho.

Likes anuttarasammyak
You need to specify where in the world you would be willing to study.

1. What is quantum computing and how is it related to theoretical physics?

Quantum computing is a type of computing that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. It is related to theoretical physics because it utilizes principles and theories from quantum mechanics, such as the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, to process and manipulate information.

2. What is the benefit of having a theoretical physics background for a quantum computing master's program?

Having a theoretical physics background can provide a strong foundation and understanding of the mathematical and theoretical concepts behind quantum computing. This can be beneficial in understanding the complex algorithms and operations used in quantum computing, as well as in developing new theories and advancements in the field.

3. Can a person with a theoretical physics background excel in a quantum computing master's program without prior experience in computer science?

Yes, a theoretical physics background can provide a strong foundation for a quantum computing master's program, even without prior experience in computer science. However, some familiarity with computer science and programming concepts may be helpful in understanding the practical applications of quantum computing.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a quantum computing master's degree and theoretical physics background?

There are various career opportunities available for someone with a quantum computing master's degree and theoretical physics background, such as working in research and development for companies or organizations involved in quantum computing, or pursuing a career in academia as a researcher or professor in the field.

5. What are some recommended courses or topics to focus on for a quantum computing master's program with a theoretical physics background?

Some recommended courses or topics to focus on for a quantum computing master's program with a theoretical physics background may include quantum mechanics, linear algebra, computer science fundamentals, and courses specifically focused on quantum computing. It may also be beneficial to take courses in areas such as cryptography or information theory, as these are closely related to quantum computing.

Suggested for: Quantum Computing masters with Theoretical physics background

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies