Dating a bismuth-magnesium-zinc composite from the 1970s using radiation damage

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
8,252
Reaction score
2,666
This is an unusually important question.

Could one determine the approximate age of a manufactured bismuth/magnesium/zinc composite somehow by the effects of UV, cosmic rays, or some other type of energetic particle acting on the material? For example, by microscopic examination or by some other means, could one estimate the number of cosmic ray impacts on the material and from this estimate the approximate amount of time since the material was manufactured. Also, does any kind of isotopic change happen over time; perhaps again due to cosmic rays or the like? If we could determine the age of this composite to within 10 years or so we could probably proceed. We are assuming that this was made in the 1970s.

We have the material but we cannot identify the manufacturer. It is imperative that we can estimate the age of this stuff. Any suggestion? The potential cost of testing is not a concern.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I don't know, but why? Is it related to something I saw on TV, regarding an alloy that was given to some person by someone unknown, that is supposedly alien? The current owner had taken it to many metallurgists and they couldn't figure anything out. I know this is a vague reference. I think the composition of this alloy did prove to be tremendously unnatural, I think it had bismuth and magnesium though. And it had an unusual distribution of elements in it, it wasn't isotropic, I don't remember what though, maybe micro-strata?
 
Originally posted by Jonathan
Sorry, I don't know, but why? Is it related to something I saw on TV, regarding an alloy that was given to some person by someone unknown, that is supposedly alien? The current owner had taken it to many metallurgists and they couldn't figure anything out. I know this is a vague reference. I think the composition of this alloy did prove to be tremendously unnatural, I think it had bismuth and magnesium though. And it had an unusual distribution of elements in it, it wasn't isotropic, I don't remember what though, maybe micro-strata?

Any discussions like that are posted in the Pseudo Science section.:smile:
 
I know that, I didn't mean to imply I wanted to hijack the thread or something, I just wanted to know why, which you still haven't anwsered. [b(]
 
Originally posted by Jonathan
I know that, I didn't mean to imply I wanted to hijack the thread or something, I just wanted to know why, which you still haven't anwsered. [b(]

You’re barking up the wrong tree on this one.
I am an industrial consultant by profession.
 
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
You’re barking up the wrong tree on this one.
I am an industrial consultant by profession.

--- and, you want free money from PF? Or, are you planning to split the consulting fee for this with Greg?
 
Originally posted by Bystander
--- and, you want free money from PF? Or, are you planning to split the consulting fee for this with Greg?

I provide free advice and information to other people - on a professional level, I would venture more than most. Is this a one way street?

Do you have a personal grievance with me for some reason? [?]
 
Last edited: