David Suzuki article on Consumerism

• News
  • Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary, David Suzuki's article "Consumer Culture No Accident" discusses the impact of consumerism on the environment, society, and personal well-being. He argues that our society's obsession with consumption has led to the depletion of Earth's resources, pollution of air and water, and a never-ending desire for more material possessions. This culture of consumption has been perpetuated by economic policies and social norms, and has become a defining aspect of American society. Suzuki calls for a re-examination of our values and lifestyles, and urges individuals to consider the consequences of their consumer choices on the environment and future generations.
jimmie said:
And regarding if a TV show et al offered to feature something I put up on my site, I would not even diginify their proposal with a response.
why? ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
And regarding if a TV show et al offered to feature something I put up on my site, I would not even diginify their proposal with a response.

why? ...

see my previous quote and especially the words after the word "is".

The RIGHT way for an individual to MASS-COMMUNICATE "consumerism", with the least amount of on-going effort (although making the site has been a Herculean effort, but once its done, its done, and its almost done) and with as little effect on the planet as possible, is ONLY a website dedicated to teaching consumerism.

Reach advertising CURRENTLY is what it is, and it shall not last forever.
Soon, it shall be... it was what it was.

Let it be known: ONLY I currently am aware of reach advertising's "achilles heel".

My site shall expose its only weak spot.

o:)

i agree partly with the higher road being the humble one but if all enviromentalists just tryed to make as little an impact on the world instead of contradicting themselves but Using resources to preach the Preservation of resources, the message of resource preservation would never get out.

an add in a big newspaper with a million subscribers that said "from start to finish, this add has required the clearcutting of 1 squair foot of forest. think of the volume in the rest of this paper and preserve your children's future" and people actualy bought the new paper less and thought about minimizing their consumption, it would be a worthy sacrifice of the 1 squair foot.

Smurf said:
why? ...

Because he's enlightened apparently and knows something the rest of us don't. You're starting to sound worse than smurf, jimmie, but it is obvious that you don't care how arrogant you come across as. I guess I can respect that.

it is obvious that you don't care how arrogant you come across as

actually, I do care.

I am aware that the tone of some my recent posts on the current thread has been aggressive.

I am also aware that being perceived as aggressive may interfere with the learning process and deter particular individuals from learning.

However, it is the individuals that intend to learn and be right that understand that ANY aggression they may perceive from me was focused towards ONLY the individuals that intended to NOT be right.

Those individuals that are deterred from learning because of my 'tone', simply did not accept their place as 'student', and my place as 'teacher'. Being humble was a pre-requisite for learning, and some individuals intend to not be humble.

And in the current big global picture of everything, that is exactly the problem. Everyone is out of place. Everyone 'wants' to rule the world, but can't even rule their own 'self'. Everyone needs to be put in place.

Order starts ONLY at the top.

Honestly, jimmie, you don't seem aggressive in the least bit. That's not what I meant. What you seem is extremely presumptious and perhaps a little overconfident in your assertion that you "know something" that no one else knows. You sound a bit like a cult leader, especially in your new insistence that the world would be ordered and all its problems solved if everyone would just follow you.

loseyourname said:
Honestly, jimmie, you don't seem aggressive in the least bit. That's not what I meant. What you seem is extremely presumptious and perhaps a little overconfident in your assertion that you "know something" that no one else knows. You sound a bit like a cult leader, especially in your new insistence that the world would be ordered and all its problems solved if everyone would just follow you.
I don't see him looking for followers, only students. I for one am interested in what he might have to teach, especially if he has unique knowledge.

I follow my own path as I suggest everyone do.

You sound a bit like a cult leader,

All "cults" have/had a particular name. Also, "cults" have/had "disciples"; I am alone. Just Me.

My organization does not have a particular name. Hence, not possible to be a cult. The organization is me. "I am" the organization. :biggrin:

However, "America" is a particular name.

you "know something" that no one else knows.

I do. And that knowledge is going in my site.

the world would be ordered and all its problems solved if everyone would just follow you.

Now we're getting somewhere. :approve:

loseyourname said:
Because he's enlightened apparently and knows something the rest of us don't. You're starting to sound worse than smurf, jimmie, but it is obvious that you don't care how arrogant you come across as. I guess I can respect that.
WTF :confused: