1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Circuits - How to Determine a Bulb's Brightness

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    tPo7e.jpg
    The circuit has identical bulbs and an ideal battery. When bulb D is unscrewed from its socket (the socket remains in its place), what would happen to the brightness of bulb F?

2. Relevant equations
    V = IR

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since bulb D is unscrewed from it socket and the socket remains in its place, we can replace bulb D with a switch that is open. Assigning resistance of 1 for each bulb, the right side of circuit has 2R and the current for bulb F would be I = V/2R. When the bulb D is back in its place, the resistance of the right side of the circuit would be 5R/3 and the current for bulb F would be I = (3V/5R)/(2/3) = 9V/10R. This shows that when bulb D is unscrewed from its socket, bulb F would have less brightness.

When I entered the above explanation it turned out to be wrong. Can anyone explain why the brightness of the bulb increases?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the current through F. Can it be higher than the main current?

ehild

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

When globe D is removed, current passes through just B and F on the RHS. As they are in series, the current through each is the same - and the PD across each is thus equal, being half the Emf of the battery. [remember they are equal resistance globes]

When Globe D is/was in position, the current through B is shared through the two parallel arms, so more current flows through B compared to that through F - so the PD across B is greater than that over F, so the PD across B must be more than one half of the Emf of the cell, while the PD across F must be less than a half; so F must be duller when D is there - or if you like brighter when D is removed.

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4
    Now that you mention it, I'm beginning to realize how stupid my answer sounds. If I multiply 3V/5R by 2/3, would that be the right answer?

6. Feb 7, 2012 #5
    Thank you. I think I'm beginning to understand the problem now. Would I reach the same conclusion if I only discuss voltage differences?

7. Feb 7, 2012 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

The brightness of the globe depends on the power being transformed/dissipated.

Power can be calculated from P = VI or I2R or V2/R

That 3rd form would suggest that Voltage difference would be sufficient.

8. Feb 7, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, of course. :smile:

ehild

9. Feb 7, 2012 #8
    Thanks everyone for helping me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook