The rheostat and the brightness of the bulbs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Asmaa Mohammad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Brightness Circuit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Asmaa Mohammad
Messages
182
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement


In the circuit shown in the figure, what will happen to the brightness of bulb A and bulb B when the wiper moves from point X to point Y?
Y0G6W.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
When the wiper moves towards Y we get smaller resistance, hence the current intensity rises, so the brightness of A increases.
I think the brightness of B will increase too, as the current passing in its branch will increase.

I am not sure about my answer, what's your opinion?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
I agree with your answer.
I have just found that my book provides the answer, it is: brightness of bulb A decreases and the brightness of bulb B doesn't change, but there is no explanation.
 
Asmaa Mohammad said:
I have just found that my book provides the answer, it is: brightness of bulb A decreases and the brightness of bulb B doesn't change, but there is no explanation.
That's wrong.
Maybe this is the answer to some other similar question and the book just printed it at the wrong place.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asmaa Mohammad