DC Power supply behaving weirdly:What reason could it be?

In summary: I only turned it a tiny bit when I first plugged it in. In summary, when I get to 12V on the voltage knob,the current LED turns on automatically. However,if I try to go any further than 5V on the voltage knob,the power supply switches automatically to current mode and the current LED will not turn on.
marellasunny
I'm using a DC power supply connected to a TPIC 1021 chip(basically a serial transceiver).

I need 12V to power the chip and my DC power supply is equipped with 2 knobs,one changes the voltage and the other changes the current. For some reason,when I get to 5V and turn the volt knob further,the power supply switches automatically to current mode i.e the LED on current indicator turns on. I can't go further than 5V unless I turn the current knob a little and only after that do I can get to turn to 12V.

Step a. I turn the voltage knob to 5V. The voltage LED switches off and the current LED turns ON.

Step b. After my current LED turns ON,I turn the current knob just a little ->Now my voltage LED turns back ON and only now do I get to change the voltage to 12V.

Why does this happen?
1.Is it because there's a possible short-circuit?
2.Has it got something to do with Power=Voltage*Current ? [Its weird that the power supply could supply 5V at 0 ampere and not 12V at 0 amps].

Your views please.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless there's a good reason to limit the current going to your device turn the current limit knob fully clockwise then set your voltage. Your current knob isn't a current controller but a current limiter. Think of a resistive circuit as you raise the voltage on your power supply the current increases until it reaches the limit set, if you carry on turning the voltage knob the current can't go up so the voltage stays steady, if you now increase the current limit that will also let the voltage increase till you reach the voltage you set.

What are you seeing as a current when you get to the 12 volts? From the chip's datasheet, in normal mode operation it's typically only 1.2 mA (assuming a typical 14 volt supply).

A problem existing with my Dc Power supply when there is too much load(i.e chip TPIC1021) on it. As you can see in the video below,there are 2 knobs-one for changing the voltage and the other for changing the current. Normally,I would just change the volt knob but after my bluetooth module got fried,I have this problem.
The problem:
The voltage needle won't go above 5V unless I tinker with the current knob,as in the first instance of the video.
In second instance in the video,all I have to do is unplug one of the loads and I can go all the way to 12V without tinkering with the current knob.
What phenomenon explains this? Checked 10 times for short-circuits,none found. My fear is that the chip(load) got fried and there is an internal short circuit. Still doesn't explain why the DC Power Supply acts like this.

Video link of what exactly is happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8UrT0KpzZU&feature=youtu.be

Jobrag:Before some of the components got fried,I could just rotate the voltage knob and it would go all the way to 12V. After I took away some of the burnt-up modules,I am faced with this problem. If what you say about current limiter is true,I could actually not rotate the current knob AT-ALL when everything was new,spic and span.

1. Why is my DC power supply constantly fluctuating?

The most common reason for a fluctuating DC power supply is an unstable input voltage. This could be caused by a faulty power source, loose connections, or a damaged power cord. It is important to check these components first before troubleshooting further.

2. Why does my DC power supply turn off unexpectedly?

There are a few potential reasons for a DC power supply turning off unexpectedly. It could be due to an overload, short circuit, or overheating. It is important to check the specifications of your power supply and make sure you are not exceeding its maximum capacity.

3. What could be causing my DC power supply to deliver the wrong voltage?

If your DC power supply is delivering the wrong voltage, it could be due to a malfunctioning component such as the transformer or rectifier. It could also be caused by a faulty voltage regulator or incorrect settings on the power supply. It is best to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

4. Why is my DC power supply making strange noises?

If your DC power supply is making strange noises, it could be due to a faulty fan or other internal component. It is important to turn off the power supply and inspect the inside for any loose or damaged parts. If the noise persists, it is best to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

5. What could be causing my DC power supply to have a burning smell?

A burning smell coming from your DC power supply could indicate a serious issue such as a short circuit or overheating. It is important to turn off the power supply immediately and unplug it from the power source. Do not attempt to use the power supply until it has been inspected and repaired by a professional.