1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie wavelenght of Earth and Moon

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    Hi,

Could someone please crunch for me the de Broglie wavelenght ([tex]\lambda[/tex]), frequency (f) and energy (E) of Earth at perihelion (30300m/s) and at aphelion (29300m/s) and mean (29800m/s)

Here are the numbers and formulas:

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=h/p , f=E/h , p=m*v (momentum=mass*velocity)

h - Planck's constant = 6.62606896×10-34
    p -
    m - 5.9742×1024kg
    v1 - 30300m/s
    v2 - 29300m/s

And also for the Moon:

m - 7.347×1022kg
    v - 1022 m/s (mean v around the Earth)
    v - 29783 m/s (mean v around the Sun)

What would be the wavelength/velocity of an object going around two centers????

Thanks,

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2
    http://www.google.com

Plug in your values for the equation there, with the proper units and get the answer yourself :)

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    come on people I need those numbers........

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4
    I don't understand what you mean, you already have the numbers and you just need to plug them in the given equations.I hope you're not asking people here to do the calculations for you,some may be willing to check your work but you must show your own efforts first.If you have difficulty in understanding the question and what to do then come back.

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5
    dadface,
    Yes, I need someone to do the calculations for me. This is not a homework or some exercise. I'm a musician and I'm working on a track that uses frequencies derived or modulated from the physical properties of Earth and Moon but my math skills drop dead beyond addition and subtraction.
    So, yea this is probably the first time in the history of physics where wavelength of Earth and Moon is really really really needed :)
    It might seem easy to you but I've never done this sort of math before so I thought I should look for help from people involved with physics and math. I guess this is not the right place.

Can you direct me to a place where I can get help with this?

Thanks,

7. Sep 16, 2009 #6

alxm

Science Advisor

Well, the de Broglie wavelength of the Earth (relative the Sun's frame of reference) is about 3E-54 meters, which, if it were turned to sound, would be a frequency of about 1E56 Hz.

About a hundred-septillion-septillion megahertz.

Personally I can't hear that well above 18 kHz.

8. Sep 16, 2009 #7
    This sounds like an interesting project olovomax.Perhaps you could scale the frequencies down so they come within the audio range.Good luck with it.

9. Sep 16, 2009 #8
    You must be a young person.I'm an old geezer and I'm guessing that about 12kHz is my upper range.:biggrin:

10. Sep 16, 2009 #9
    Sweet!!

So the earth is buzzing at 10e55 Hz. Is that correct?
    What about the moon, alxm? Can the moon have two wavelengths as relative to the earth and the sun or it's a mean value? I think I can set the frame of the track on the ratio of three values - either of earth-moon-sun or earth-moon(Earth)-moon(Sun)

I need only 3 values to lay the grid for this track.

11. Sep 16, 2009 #10
    thanks i'll let you hear it when i'm done with it

12. Sep 16, 2009 #11
    if your upper limit was at 12kh you would be half deaf :D

13. Sep 16, 2009 #12
    the 10-16kh range is reserved mainly for predation - therefore if you lived as a hunter-gatherer in you would probably starve to death too :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook