De Broglie wavelength of electron

In summary, to find the de Broglie wavelength of an electron with kinetic energy E (eV), we can use the equations \lambda = \frac{h}{p} and E = \frac{p^2}{2m}. By converting the second equation to the correct units and solving for p, we can then substitute the value into the first equation. Using the numerical value of \hbar = \frac{h}{2\pi}, we get a de Broglie wavelength of 12.26 \times 10^{-9}.
lampshade

Homework Statement

Show that the de Broglie wavelength of an electron of kinetic energy E (eV) is

[tex]\lambda = \frac{12.3*10^{-8}}{E^{1/2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]
[tex]E = \frac{p^2}{2m}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've played around with substituting and things like that, but I can't seem to find that 12.3 number anywhere. I feel like I must be missing something simple, but I'm not sure what.

Physics news on Phys.org
First convert the second equation to the right units and solve it for p, then plug it into the first equation and work out all the things you have numerical values for. Note that h is actually [itex]\hbar = h / (2\pi)[/itex].

I then get [itex]12.26 \times 10^{-9}[/itex].

What is the De Broglie wavelength of an electron?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a moving electron. It is given by the equation λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and v is its velocity.

What is the significance of the De Broglie wavelength of an electron?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron shows that all matter, including particles like electrons, have wave-like properties. This is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles on a microscopic level and helps explain phenomena such as diffraction and interference.

How is the De Broglie wavelength of an electron calculated?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron is calculated using the formula λ = h/mv, where h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 m^2 kg/s), m is the mass of the electron (9.109 x 10^-31 kg), and v is the velocity of the electron in meters per second (m/s).

What is the relationship between the De Broglie wavelength and the momentum of an electron?

The De Broglie wavelength and momentum of an electron are inversely proportional. This means that as the momentum of an electron increases, its wavelength decreases. This relationship is described by the equation p = h/λ, where p is the momentum of the electron.

How does the De Broglie wavelength of an electron relate to the uncertainty principle?

The De Broglie wavelength of an electron is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because the more precisely we know the position of an electron, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. The De Broglie wavelength is one way of expressing this uncertainty in momentum.