Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem [Quantum Mechanics]

In summary, one can determine the ratio (Em/En) between two energy states of a particle in a one dimensional box of length l by using the de Broglie wave-particle duality and the energy momentum relationship. This is consistent with the non-relativistic low-energy limit, which can be found by solving the Schrodinger equation and applying boundary conditions to obtain the energy eigenvalues. Using the assumption of a de Broglie wavelength does not necessarily imply special relativity.
michaelmolli
Homework Statement
a) Determine the ratio (Em/En) between two energy states of a particle in a one dimensional box of length l.
b) Show that this is consistent with the non-relativistic low-energy limit.

The attempt at a solution

I have figured out a) using the de broglie wave-particle duality and the energy momentum relationship to get:
Em/En = m2/n2 but I am unsure what this non-relativistic low-energy limit is.
I though about using classical kinetic energy to (ie. non-relativistic) of the particle and using similar equations (de broglie wavelength, standing wave) but I realized using the assumption of a De Broglie wavelength implies its accordance with relativity and I find myself somewhat lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
michaelmolli said:
Determine the ratio (Em/En) between two energy states of a particle in a one dimensional box of length l.
b) Show that this is consistent with the non-relativistic low-energy limit.

one should take a one dimensional box say of length L and write out the schrodinger equation -then calculate the wave function -apply the boundary condition at L=0 and L=L, the wave function must vanish at the boundary as the particle is confined.
that should yield the energy eigen values - take the ratio of two states say mth and nth state its a non relativistic situation.
check the energy ratio .

michaelmolli said:
The attempt at a solution
I have figured out a) using the de broglie wave-particle duality and the energy momentum relationship to get:
Em/En = m2/n2 but I am unsure what this non-relativistic low-energy limit is.
What's this energy momentum relationship you refer to?

I though about using classical kinetic energy to (ie. non-relativistic) of the particle and using similar equations (de broglie wavelength, standing wave) but I realized using the assumption of a De Broglie wavelength implies its accordance with relativity and I find myself somewhat lost.
I don't think the assumption of a de Broglie wavelength implies SR. Why do you think it does?

You should solve it as drvrm described. Using the assumption of a De Broglie wavelength implies that the particle is free (no potential), your particle is free only inside the box.

1. What is the Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem in Quantum Mechanics?

The Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem is a theoretical model used in Quantum Mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space. It involves calculating the allowed energy states and corresponding wave functions of the particle within the box.

2. What are the assumptions made in the Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem?

The Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem assumes that the particle is confined to a one-dimensional box with impenetrable walls, meaning the particle cannot escape the box. It also assumes that there is no external force acting on the particle and that the walls of the box do not move.

3. How is the Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem solved?

The Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem is solved by applying the Schrödinger equation to the system. This involves finding the wave function of the particle, which describes its position and momentum within the box, and using it to calculate the allowed energy states.

4. What is the significance of the Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem?

The Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem is a simplified model that is used to introduce students to the concepts of Quantum Mechanics. It also has practical applications in understanding the behavior of particles in nanostructures, such as quantum dots and semiconductor devices.

5. What is the relationship between the Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Particle in One-Dimensional Box Problem is related to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. In the case of the particle in a box, the more precisely we know the position of the particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.