De Broglie's Wavelength (matter wave)

In summary, the problem involves a parallel beam of "cold" neutrons with energy 0.1eV striking a slit system in the y-z plane. The slits are 1 micron apart and parallel to the y-axis. The distance between the detector at x=20m recording the highest flux of neutrons and the closest one recording nearly zero flux can be found using the equation (n-0.5)lambda = d sin(theta). However, the addition of more slits will change the interference pattern, making the peaks narrower and more well-defined. The term "cold" refers to the slow speed of the neutrons.
wavingerwin

Homework Statement

Parallel beam of "cold" neutrons in the x-axis, with energy 0.1eV strikes a slit system in y-z plane.

Slits are parallel to the y-axis 1 micron apart. What will be the distance between the detector at x=20m which records the highest flux of neutrons, and the closest one to it that records nearly zero flux?

Homework Equations

lambda = h/p
f = E/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find lambda
going with

lambda = h/p
p = gamma*m*v

v = c*(1-(K/mc2+1)-2)0.5

with K = 0.1eV = 1.602e-20 Joules
m = 1.675e-27
I found v=0... since K2/mc2 << 1

What am I doing wrong?
Please help...

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The neutron has a mass of almost 1 GeV. With a kinetic energy of only 0.1 eV, it's not moving at relativistic speeds, so just use p=mv and K=1/2 mv2.

I see :smile:.

So now that I have lambda = 9.04e-11 m

Can I use the equation (n-0.5)lambda = d sin(theta)

with n = 1

and x = 20 tan(theta)

so that x is the closest distance between the central maxima and the area of nearly zero flux?

I am concerned since the problem states that the neutrons go through a "slit system" and my tutor confirmed that this means that it has multiple slits, can I still use (n-0.5)lambda = d sin(theta) which I understand is mainly used for dual-slit?

if not, what equation should I use?

Since it says that the neutrons are in a "beam", can I say that even though there are multiple slits (1 micron apart), only 2 slits are playing a part in the problem?

thank you

Anyone? please.

What does the addition of more slits do to the interference pattern?

:shy:...It does not do anything...

I get it now that the 'slit system' is juts a diffraction grating and reading back my old notes about diffraction grating, the only difference is that now I cannot approximate sin(theta)=tan(theta)...

sorry about my silliness..

The pattern does change, and it has nothing to do with the approximation sin θ≈tan θ. That only requires that θ be small.

The positions of the maxima don't change, but the peaks become narrower, more well-defined.

Thanks vela..

the last part of the question says:
If the neutron come originally from a U-235 nuclear fission reactor, in what sense are they now "cold"?

I looked at wikipedia, and found "The neutron temperature, also called the neutron energy, indicates a free neutron's kinetic energy"

My guess is the neutrons are cold in the sense that they are traveling 'slow'.

Would that be right?

Again, thanks you for your time & patience in advance. :smile:

Yes, "cold" means "slow."

What is De Broglie's Wavelength?

De Broglie's Wavelength is a concept from quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle, such as an electron or proton, as it behaves like a wave. It is named after physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

What is the equation for De Broglie's Wavelength?

The equation for De Broglie's Wavelength is λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

What does De Broglie's Wavelength tell us about particles?

De Broglie's Wavelength tells us that particles, despite their small size and solid appearance, exhibit wave-like properties. This means that they can diffract and interfere with each other, just like waves do.

What is the significance of De Broglie's Wavelength?

The significance of De Broglie's Wavelength is that it helps us understand the dual nature of particles and the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics. It also helps us explain phenomena such as diffraction and interference, which cannot be explained by classical mechanics.

How is De Broglie's Wavelength related to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

De Broglie's Wavelength is related to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we know its momentum, and vice versa. De Broglie's Wavelength is a fundamental part of this principle, as the wavelength of a particle is related to its momentum.