DE midterm problems I got wrong

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Midterm
In summary: So you don't really deduce anything, you just use the fact that dy/dx = f(x,y) and dv/du = dy/dx to show that dv/du = f(x,y). In summary, it is shown that for a differential equation dy/dx = f(x,y) with symmetries of all scaling transformations Tt, t not equal to 0, the value of f(x,y) only depends on the ratio y/x, as proven by the fact that f(x,y) = f(1, y/x). Another problem involving a second order nonlinear DE is also solved by rewriting it as a separable first-order DE and using partial fractions to
JasonJo
Consider a DE

dy/dx = f(x,y)

Suppose that all the scaling transformations Tt, t not equal to 0, are symmetries of the DE. Show that the value of f(x,y) only depends on the ratio y/x, by showing that:

f(x,y) = f(1, y/x)

I think I have a rough idea of how to do this, my professor did it in class, but every step doesn't seem to be justified, or it's one of those solutions where the solution seems to come out of thin air, to me.

I tried:

Let T be a symmetry of the DE:
T takes (x,y) to (u = tx, v = ty)
du = t*dx, dv = t*dy

dv/du = (t/t)*(dy/dx) = dy/dx = f(y/x)

but how do you deduce that?

another problem:
Consider the 2nd order nonlinear DE:

m*(dv/dt) = mg - kv^2

at time t=0, the initial velocity is v(0) = 0.

(a) Solve for velocity v as a function of t be rewriting the above DE as a seperable first-order DE in v and t.

I don't really see how to do this, any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonJo said:
Consider a DE

dy/dx = f(x,y)

Suppose that all the scaling transformations Tt, t not equal to 0, are symmetries of the DE. Show that the value of f(x,y) only depends on the ratio y/x, by showing that:

f(x,y) = f(1, y/x)

I think I have a rough idea of how to do this, my professor did it in class, but every step doesn't seem to be justified, or it's one of those solutions where the solution seems to come out of thin air, to me.

I tried:

Let T be a symmetry of the DE:
T takes (x,y) to (u = tx, v = ty)
du = t*dx, dv = t*dy

but how do you deduce that?
More importantly, how did f go from a function of two variables to a function of only one variable!
Try this: let v= y/x. Then y= xv so y'= xv'+ v (' means differentiation with respect to x.) f(x,y)= f(x,xv)= f(1,v) since (x,xv)-->(1,v) is a "scaling" transformation. Then differential equation becomes xv'= f(1,v)- v which is a separable equation.

another problem:
Consider the 2nd order nonlinear DE:

m*(dv/dt) = mg - kv^2

at time t=0, the initial velocity is v(0) = 0.

(a) Solve for velocity v as a function of t be rewriting the above DE as a seperable first-order DE in v and t.

I don't really see how to do this, any hints?
?? That's NOT a 2nd order equation- its first order and separable.
Separate it as m (dv/(mg- kv^2))= dt and use partial fractions to integrate the right side.

can i also scale by t = 1/x

ie, let T be the transformation: (x y) |--> (x*t y*t) and let t = 1/x?? since all scaling transformations are symmetries of the DE?

bump

anything guys?

You need to show that all scalings are symmetries, not that all symmetries are scalings. Take a scaling, apply it to your DE, and prove that the resulting thing is the same as what you started with (I'm assuming that's what you mean by a symmetry).

You mean dv/du = (t/t)*(dy/dx) = dy/dx = f(x,y), since dy/dx = f(x,y) by the original equation. Anyways:

dv/du = dv/dy * dy/dx * dx/du = t * dy/dx * 1/(du/dx) = t * dy/dx * 1/t = (t/t)*(dy/dx)

1. Why did I get this specific problem wrong?

There could be several reasons why you got a specific problem wrong. It could be due to a misunderstanding of the concept, a calculation error, or simply a lack of practice. Reviewing the problem and identifying where you went wrong can help prevent similar mistakes in the future.

2. How can I improve my performance on the midterm exam?

To improve your performance on the midterm exam, it is important to review your mistakes and understand where you went wrong. Make sure to also review all the material covered in class and practice solving similar problems. Seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions can also be beneficial.

3. Is it possible to retake the midterm exam to improve my grade?

This depends on your professor's policies and the rules of your institution. Some professors may allow retakes for a higher grade, while others may not. It is best to discuss this with your professor and see if there are any opportunities for improvement.

4. How can I manage my time better during the exam to avoid making mistakes?

Time management is crucial during exams. Make sure to read each question carefully and allocate your time accordingly. If a problem seems too challenging, move on to the next one and come back to it later. Also, make sure to double-check your work before submitting your exam.

5. What resources are available to help me study for the midterm exam?

There are several resources available to help you study for the midterm exam. Your professor may provide study guides or practice problems. You can also form study groups with your classmates or seek help from a tutor. Additionally, online resources such as practice exams and instructional videos can also be useful.