De Moivre's Theorem: Find Expansion of cos 5θ

  • Thread starter Thread starter jammed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
jammed
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Using De Moivre's Theorem, find the expansion of cos 5θ in terms of cos θ.
Hence find the exact value of
cos(pi/10) x cos(3pi/10)


Homework Equations



Well i used the equation (cosθ + isinθ)^5 and then equated the real parts to get cos5θ in terms of cosθ.

The Attempt at a Solution



I expanded the equation above using binomial expansion and then equated the real parts to get cos5θ in terms of cosθ

c= cosθ, s = sinθ
(cosθ+isinθ)^5 = c^5 + 5c^4is-10c^3s^2-10c^2is^3+5cs^4- 1is^5
After equating the real parts I got
cos5θ = 16c^5 - 20c^3 + 5c (1)

For the second part

I used (1) to make cosθ the subject and then substituted θ = pi/10 and θ = 3pi/10 respectively but I am unable to to get the exact value and most importantly without calculator.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been taught how to do this in class? Because there is probably a more elegant way than I'm about to show you.

Given that [tex]cos(5\theta) = 16cos^5(\theta) - 20cos^3(\theta) + 5cos(\theta)[/tex]

and we need to find the value of [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex]

Substituting [tex]\theta=\frac{\pi}{10}[/tex] into the equation gives us

[tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{2})=16cos^5(\frac{\pi}{10})-20cos^3(\frac{\pi}{10})+5cos(\frac{\pi}{10})[/tex]

Now the left side, [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{2})=0[/tex]

So now we need to solve for [tex]16cos^5(\frac{\pi}{10})-20cos^3(\frac{\pi}{10})+5cos(\frac{\pi}{10})=0[/tex]

Since [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})\neq 0[/tex] then we can divide through by that, leaving us a quadratic in [tex]cos^2(\frac{\pi}{10})[/tex]

After you do this, solve for [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})[/tex] and notice that you'll have a plus or minus from the quadratic, and obviously it can't be equal to both, it must be just one of them. Well, if you don't have a calculator handy then do the same process for [tex]cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex], you'll find you get the same answer. Since [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})\neq cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex] then obviously in the plus or minus, one of them is the answer to the first and the other is the answer to the second. You can quickly give a short explanation as to why the + would be for the [itex]\pi/10[/itex] since [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})>cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex]

Now just multiply both values together to find [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex] as needed.
 
No I wasnt taught in school. It just came in the exam. After I posted this thread I tried to substitute
x = cos[tex]\theta[/tex] in the equation

Then used the product of the roots 16x^4 - 20x^2 + 5 to find the result. What do you say about this way of solving
 
Oh yes of course that's much better :smile:

You might want to let [tex]x=cos^2\theta[/tex] such that you end up with a quadratic so then you only have two roots. With the quartic you have, you would need to argue that since there are 4 roots in the quartic equation, two of them are equal roots.