Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Moivre's Theorem for Rational Exponents

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    ##cosθ + isinθ = cos(θ + 2kπ) + isin(θ + 2kπ)## for ##k ∈ ℤ##
    ##[cosθ + isinθ]^n = [cos(θ + 2kπ) + isin(θ + 2kπ)]^n##
    ##cos(nθ) + isin(nθ) = cos(nθ + 2nkπ) + isin(nθ + 2nkπ)##
    ##cos(nθ + 2mπ) + isin(nθ + 2mπ) = cos(nθ + 2nkπ) + isin(nθ + 2nkπ)## for ##m ∈ ℤ##

Now consider the special case ##n = 1/p## for ##p ∈ ℤ##

##cos(\frac{θ}{p} + 2mπ) + isin(\frac{θ}{p} + 2mπ) = cos(\frac{θ}{p} + \frac{2kπ}{p}) + isin(\frac{θ}{p} + \frac{2kπ}{p})##

Is this a contradiction?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where do you see a contradiction?

4. Dec 18, 2014 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. The left side and the right side are two different things. The left side simply expresses the fact [itex]e^{2in\pi}=1[/itex] while the right side simply says there are p pth roots of [itex]e^{i\theta}[/itex]

5. Dec 18, 2014 #4
    The very fact that the RHS and LHS seem to represent two different things is the reason I'm confused as to whether the equality holds.

6. Dec 18, 2014 #5
    Also, could you please elaborate on what the RHS represents?

7. Dec 19, 2014 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]e^{i(\theta+2k\pi)}[/itex] is the same number for all integer values of k. However [itex]e^{\frac{i(\theta+2k\pi)}{p}}[/itex] will have p possible values for k =0,1,...,p-1. These are the pth roots.

8. Dec 19, 2014 #7
    But this means that, technically, they're not equal. Right? They're only equal in special cases where k/p is an integer.

9. Dec 20, 2014 #8

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate to keep repeating myself. The left side of the expression represents one particular pth root. The right side is any pth root, depending on k, which is different, unless k/p is an integer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook