De Moivre's Theorem for Rational Exponents

• Thread starter PFuser1232
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

##cosθ + isinθ = cos(θ + 2kπ) + isin(θ + 2kπ)## for ##k ∈ ℤ##
##[cosθ + isinθ]^n = [cos(θ + 2kπ) + isin(θ + 2kπ)]^n##
##cos(nθ) + isin(nθ) = cos(nθ + 2nkπ) + isin(nθ + 2nkπ)##
##cos(nθ + 2mπ) + isin(nθ + 2mπ) = cos(nθ + 2nkπ) + isin(nθ + 2nkπ)## for ##m ∈ ℤ##

Now consider the special case ##n = 1/p## for ##p ∈ ℤ##

##cos(\frac{θ}{p} + 2mπ) + isin(\frac{θ}{p} + 2mπ) = cos(\frac{θ}{p} + \frac{2kπ}{p}) + isin(\frac{θ}{p} + \frac{2kπ}{p})##

Is this a contradiction?

Answers and Replies

Where do you see a contradiction?

mathman
Science Advisor
##cosθ + isinθ = cos(θ + 2kπ) + isin(θ + 2kπ)## for ##k ∈ ℤ##
##[cosθ + isinθ]^n = [cos(θ + 2kπ) + isin(θ + 2kπ)]^n##
##cos(nθ) + isin(nθ) = cos(nθ + 2nkπ) + isin(nθ + 2nkπ)##
##cos(nθ + 2mπ) + isin(nθ + 2mπ) = cos(nθ + 2nkπ) + isin(nθ + 2nkπ)## for ##m ∈ ℤ##

Now consider the special case ##n = 1/p## for ##p ∈ ℤ##

##cos(\frac{θ}{p} + 2mπ) + isin(\frac{θ}{p} + 2mπ) = cos(\frac{θ}{p} + \frac{2kπ}{p}) + isin(\frac{θ}{p} + \frac{2kπ}{p})##

Is this a contradiction?
No. The left side and the right side are two different things. The left side simply expresses the fact [itex]e^{2in\pi}=1[/itex] while the right side simply says there are p pth roots of [itex]e^{i\theta}[/itex]

No. The left side and the right side are two different things. The left side simply expresses the fact [itex]e^{2in\pi}=1[/itex] while the right side simply says there are p pth roots of [itex]e^{i\theta}[/itex]
The very fact that the RHS and LHS seem to represent two different things is the reason I'm confused as to whether the equality holds.

Also, could you please elaborate on what the RHS represents?

mathman
Science Advisor
[itex]e^{i(\theta+2k\pi)}[/itex] is the same number for all integer values of k. However [itex]e^{\frac{i(\theta+2k\pi)}{p}}[/itex] will have p possible values for k =0,1,...,p-1. These are the pth roots.

[itex]e^{i(\theta+2k\pi)}[/itex] is the same number for all integer values of k. However [itex]e^{\frac{i(\theta+2k\pi)}{p}}[/itex] will have p possible values for k =0,1,...,p-1. These are the pth roots.
But this means that, technically, they're not equal. Right? They're only equal in special cases where k/p is an integer.

mathman
Science Advisor
But this means that, technically, they're not equal. Right? They're only equal in special cases where k/p is an integer.
I hate to keep repeating myself. The left side of the expression represents one particular pth root. The right side is any pth root, depending on k, which is different, unless k/p is an integer.