1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate complex number to nth power with de Moivre's formula

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\left( \frac{2 \sqrt{3}+2i}{1-i} \right)^{50}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]z = a+ib[/tex]

1. [tex]z = r(cos \phi + isin \phi)[/tex]

[tex]r = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

[tex]cos \phi = \frac{a}{r}[/tex]

[tex]sin \phi = \frac{b}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{z_1}{z_2} = \frac{r_1}{r_2}\left( cos(\phi_1-\phi_2) + isin(\phi_1 - \phi_2)\right)[/tex]

[tex]z^{n} = r^{n}(cos n \phi + isin n \phi)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First I assign the numerator to [tex]z_1 = 2 \sqrt{3} + 2i[/tex] and convert it to trigonometric form:

[tex]a=2\sqrt{3} , b=2[/tex]
    [tex]r = \sqrt{(2\sqrt{3})^2+2^2} = \sqrt{12+4} = 4[/tex]
    [tex]cos \phi_1 = \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]sin \phi_1 = \frac{2}{4} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

From the [tex]sin \phi_1[/tex] and [tex]cos \phi_1[/tex] can be concluded that that [tex]\phi_1 = \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]. Using the conversion formula we get the trigonometric form of [tex]z_1[/tex]: [tex]z_1 = 4(cos \frac{\pi}{6} + isin \frac{\pi}{6})[/tex]

Second I assign the denominator to [tex]z_2 = 1-i[/tex]

[tex]a = 1, b = -1, r = \sqrt{2}[/tex]
    [tex]cos \phi_2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
    [tex]sin \phi_2 = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

So [tex]\phi_2 = \frac{7\pi}{4}[/tex] and now we can derive the trigonometric form of [tex]z_2 = \sqrt{2}(cos \frac{7\pi}{4} + isin \frac{7\pi}{4})[/tex]

What I get is:[tex]\left( \frac{4(cos \frac{\pi}{6} + isin \frac{\pi}{6})}{\sqrt{2}(cos \frac{7\pi}{4} + isin \frac{7\pi}{4})} \right)^{50}[/tex]

Using the division formula I get the trigonometric version of the main equation:
    [tex]\left( \frac{4}{\sqrt{2}}(cos(\frac{\pi}{6}-\frac{7\pi}{4}) + isin (\frac{\pi}{6}-\frac{7\pi}{4}) \right)^{50}[/tex]

How do I continue? I can simplify it further and I get [tex]cos (\frac{19\pi}{12})[/tex] and the same for sin but with the - (minus) sign in front.

I can apply the de Moivre's formula but I can't simplify it to the answer given below.

Can some one give me any guidance (step by step).

Maybe I have an error somewhere or I just don't know how to arrive to the right answer which is: [tex]2^{74}(-\sqrt{3}+i)[/tex]

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

The first thing I would do is this:
    \frac{2 \sqrt{3}+2i}{1-i}\cdot\frac{1+i}{1+i}=\sqrt{3}-1+(1+\sqrt{3})i
    The the application of de Movire's theorem is relatively straight forward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook