Calculate complex number to nth power with de Moivre's formula

In summary: So this equation can be solved as follows:z_1 = (sqrt(3)-1)+i*(1+sqrt(3))z_2 = (1-i)z_3 = z_1^50z_3 =2.2361e+74 + 2.2361e+74iTherefore, the final answer is:In summary, the solution to this equation is 2^{74}(-\sqrt{3}+i).
abruski

Homework Statement

[tex]\left( \frac{2 \sqrt{3}+2i}{1-i} \right)^{50}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]z = a+ib[/tex]

1. [tex]z = r(cos \phi + isin \phi)[/tex]

[tex]r = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

[tex]cos \phi = \frac{a}{r}[/tex]

[tex]sin \phi = \frac{b}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{z_1}{z_2} = \frac{r_1}{r_2}\left( cos(\phi_1-\phi_2) + isin(\phi_1 - \phi_2)\right)[/tex]

[tex]z^{n} = r^{n}(cos n \phi + isin n \phi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I assign the numerator to [tex]z_1 = 2 \sqrt{3} + 2i[/tex] and convert it to trigonometric form:

[tex]a=2\sqrt{3} , b=2[/tex]
[tex]r = \sqrt{(2\sqrt{3})^2+2^2} = \sqrt{12+4} = 4[/tex]
[tex]cos \phi_1 = \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]sin \phi_1 = \frac{2}{4} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

From the [tex]sin \phi_1[/tex] and [tex]cos \phi_1[/tex] can be concluded that that [tex]\phi_1 = \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]. Using the conversion formula we get the trigonometric form of [tex]z_1[/tex]: [tex]z_1 = 4(cos \frac{\pi}{6} + isin \frac{\pi}{6})[/tex]

Second I assign the denominator to [tex]z_2 = 1-i[/tex]

[tex]a = 1, b = -1, r = \sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]cos \phi_2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
[tex]sin \phi_2 = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

So [tex]\phi_2 = \frac{7\pi}{4}[/tex] and now we can derive the trigonometric form of [tex]z_2 = \sqrt{2}(cos \frac{7\pi}{4} + isin \frac{7\pi}{4})[/tex]

What I get is:[tex]\left( \frac{4(cos \frac{\pi}{6} + isin \frac{\pi}{6})}{\sqrt{2}(cos \frac{7\pi}{4} + isin \frac{7\pi}{4})} \right)^{50}[/tex]

Using the division formula I get the trigonometric version of the main equation:
[tex]\left( \frac{4}{\sqrt{2}}(cos(\frac{\pi}{6}-\frac{7\pi}{4}) + isin (\frac{\pi}{6}-\frac{7\pi}{4}) \right)^{50}[/tex]

How do I continue? I can simplify it further and I get [tex]cos (\frac{19\pi}{12})[/tex] and the same for sin but with the - (minus) sign in front.

I can apply the de Moivre's formula but I can't simplify it to the answer given below.

Can some one give me any guidance (step by step).

Maybe I have an error somewhere or I just don't know how to arrive to the right answer which is: [tex]2^{74}(-\sqrt{3}+i)[/tex]

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing I would do is this:
[tex]
\frac{2 \sqrt{3}+2i}{1-i}\cdot\frac{1+i}{1+i}=\sqrt{3}-1+(1+\sqrt{3})i
[/tex]
The the application of de Movire's theorem is relatively straight forward.

Mat

What is de Moivre's formula and how is it used to calculate complex numbers to the nth power?

De Moivre's formula is a mathematical equation that is used to raise complex numbers to a power. It is written as z^n = (r(cosθ + isinθ))^n, where z is the complex number, r is the magnitude or absolute value of z, and θ is the angle of z in polar form. This formula can be used to calculate the nth power of a complex number by simply raising the magnitude to the power of n and multiplying the angle by n.

Can de Moivre's formula be used for both positive and negative powers?

Yes, de Moivre's formula can be used to calculate both positive and negative powers of a complex number. For positive powers, the formula remains the same. For negative powers, the formula is modified to z^-n = (r(cosθ + isinθ))^-n = 1/(r^n)(cos(nθ) + isin(nθ)).

How can de Moivre's formula be used to find the roots of a complex number?

De Moivre's formula can be used to find the nth roots of a complex number by taking the n-th root of the magnitude and dividing the angle by n. For example, to find the 4th root of z = 2(cos45° + isin45°), we would take the 4th root of 2 to get √2 and divide 45° by 4 to get 11.25°. Therefore, the 4th roots of z are √2(cos11.25° + isin11.25°), √2(cos123.75° + isin123.75°), √2(cos236.25° + isin236.25°), and √2(cos348.75° + isin348.75°).

Are there any limitations to using de Moivre's formula to calculate complex numbers to the nth power?

Yes, there are some limitations to using de Moivre's formula. It can only be used for raising complex numbers to integer powers, meaning whole numbers. It also assumes that the complex number is in polar form, so if it is given in rectangular form, it must be converted first. Additionally, this formula may not be the most efficient method for calculating large powers of complex numbers.

Can de Moivre's formula be used for complex numbers with imaginary parts?

Yes, de Moivre's formula can be used for complex numbers with imaginary parts. The imaginary part will just be multiplied by i in the final result. For example, if we are calculating (3+2i)^4, we would first convert it to polar form as (3+2i)^4 = (3^2 + 2^2)^(1/2)(cos(2tan^-1(2/3))+isin(2tan^-1(2/3))). Then, using de Moivre's formula, we can raise the magnitude to the power of 4 and multiply the angle by 4 to get the final result of 97(cos(8tan^-1(2/3))+isin(8tan^-1(2/3))).