DE problem, can it be that easy?

• Thread starter somebodyelse5
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is discussing an equation involving the integration of 1/.8S dS = 1 dt and the attempt to solve it using linearity principles. The question asks for an estimate of the solution, but it is unclear how to apply linearity in this situation. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a question related to glass later on, but it is the last problem and the person is unsure of the question's purpose. Ultimately, it is suggested to solve the ODE instead for a more accurate answer.
somebodyelse5

Homework Statement

Here is the problem. Is it as easy as my attempted solution? I think its more difficult but I am completely lost.

Picture11.png

The Attempt at a Solution

simply integrate 1/.8S dS = 1 dt
use 2009 as start time so t=0 and S=.6 to solve for C

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, the price of sand has nothing to do with the price of glass so you are right. You can solve it that way. On the other hand it looks to me like the question isn't asking to you solve the equation. It's asking for an estimate of the solution using 'linearity principals'. That's different from solving. Are there more parts? They must have a question having something to do with glass later on, given the elaborate set up.

Dick said:
Sure, the price of sand has nothing to do with the price of glass so you are right. You can solve it that way. On the other hand it looks to me like the question isn't asking to you solve the equation. It's asking for an estimate of the solution using 'linearity principals'. That's different from solving. Are there more parts? They must have a question having something to do with glass later on, given the elaborate set up.

nope, that's it, I scanned everything involved. this is the last problem.

I would guess linearity, but we covered it for like 20 minutes and moved on. If I were to use linearity, where would I start?

You know dS/dt and S in 2009. The only linearity principal that comes to mind is to use that slope to extrapolate along a straight line to 2011. That gives you a pretty poor estimate of the actual solution you would get solving the ODE. And the reason why it's poor has nothing to do with the extraneous 'glass' stuff. It's just that the function isn't very closely approximated by a linear function. I really don't get what this question's point is. Maybe you should just solve the ODE and give that answer.

1. What is the DE problem?

The DE (differential equation) problem refers to the challenge of finding a mathematical function that satisfies a given set of conditions or constraints. This type of problem is commonly encountered in scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Is solving the DE problem easy?

The difficulty of solving the DE problem depends on the complexity of the equation and the techniques used to solve it. Some DEs can be solved analytically using mathematical methods, while others require numerical methods and advanced computational tools. Therefore, the ease of solving a DE problem varies on a case-by-case basis.

3. Can the DE problem be solved exactly?

In most cases, the DE problem cannot be solved exactly. This is because the solution to a DE is often expressed in terms of other mathematical functions that cannot be integrated or simplified further. However, approximations and numerical solutions can be obtained to a desired level of accuracy.

4. Is there a standard method for solving the DE problem?

There is no one-size-fits-all method for solving the DE problem. Different types of DEs require different techniques and approaches for solving them. Some common methods include separation of variables, integration factors, and power series solutions.

5. Can computers solve the DE problem?

Yes, computers can solve the DE problem using numerical methods and algorithms. These methods involve breaking down the DE into smaller, simpler equations that can be solved using standard techniques. With the increasing power and speed of computers, solving complex DE problems has become more feasible and efficient.