De-Shebanging a Python program file

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not being able to access old text-based .py files after shebanging a Python program file. The solution is to change the file association to open the files with a text editor, such as NotePad or NotePad++. Alternatively, the files can be opened with IDLE or through the command line by typing "python xxx.py". Another suggestion is to rename all .py files to .py0 to prompt for a desired application to open them with.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I had shebanged a Python program file to train myself to run Python from the command line or search box. Problem is now I cannot access my old text-based .py files. Every time I click on them to open, they run in the command line. How can I access the text format again?

Technology news on Phys.org
Or see if selecting it and pressing button two of the mouse might bring up a menu where you can select how to open.

Lastly there's always the good old command line.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Thanks, I wish I had remembered to include a pause. The 1/100 second exposure doesn't quite do it.

Likes jedishrfu
WWGD said:
Hi all,
I had shebanged a Python program file to train myself to run Python from the command line or search box. Problem is now I cannot access my old text-based .py files. Every time I click on them to open, they run in the command line. How can I access the text format again?
If I understand the problem you're describing, all you need to do is change the file association. Right now, if you click on these files, which are text files, they open by default with some application.

Go to the directory where you keep the .py files, select one of them, and on the right-click menu, choose Open. The dialog that opens should show the icons of several programs, but gives you options to look for other applications, or to browse for an application.

You want to open these files with NotePad or NotePad++ or whatever editor you've been using, and you want to click the box that indicates to always use this application.

Alternatively, you can right-click on one of these files, and Open with... It should list your text editor as one of the options.

BTW, is "shebanging" a thing, let alone "de-shebanging"?

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
Mark44 said:
If I understand the problem you're describing, all you need to do is change the file association. Right now, if you click on these files, which are text files, they open by default with some application.

Go to the directory where you keep the .py files, select one of them, and on the right-click menu, choose Open. The dialog that opens should show the icons of several programs, but gives you options to look for other applications, or to browse for an application.

You want to open these files with NotePad or NotePad++ or whatever editor you've been using, and you want to click the box that indicates to always use this application.

Alternatively, you can right-click on one of these files, and Open with... It should list your text editor as one of the options.
Now they open-- and automatically run -- in the command line, for a full hundredth of a second or so. Like I said, guess I should have added a pause at the end of the program.

WWGD said:
Now they open-- and automatically run -- in the command line, for a full hundredth of a second or so. Like I said, guess I should have added a pause at the end of the program.
My preference is to open a command prompt in the appropriate directory, and then type python xxx.py. Doing this won't do what you're describing.

Thanks. I would just like to run them in the shell, in IDLE. I will try the suggestions in your previous reply.

It's easy enough to change or remove file type associations, as @Mark44 pointed out, but you could also just rename all your .py files to (e.g.) .py0 (from a command prompt, after navigating to the appropriate directory: ren *.py *.py0), which would result in your being prompted for what you wanted to open them with, and you could then check or uncheck the 'always' box to make or not make a new persistent file type association.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu and WWGD
Followup.
Thanks for suggestions, to follow-up , right-clicking gives me the option to edit with IDLE ( my editor). Thanks all.

Likes sysprog
You can also open the editor and then open the file there.

Likes jtbell, WWGD and jedishrfu

1. What does it mean to "De-Shebang" a Python program file?

De-Shebang-ing a Python program file means removing the first line of the code which starts with "#!" and specifies the path to the Python interpreter. This makes the program file more portable and can be run on any system with Python installed.

2. Why would I need to De-Shebang a Python program file?

De-Shebang-ing a Python program file can be useful when you want to share your code with others who may not have the same version of Python or may be using a different operating system. Removing the shebang line allows the code to be executed using the default Python interpreter on the system.

3. How do I De-Shebang a Python program file?

To De-Shebang a Python program file, you can simply delete the first line of the code which starts with "#!" and save the file. Alternatively, you can also use a command-line tool such as "sed" to remove the shebang line.

4. Will De-Shebang-ing a Python program file affect its functionality?

No, removing the shebang line does not affect the functionality of the code. The shebang line is only used to specify the path to the Python interpreter and is not necessary for the code to run.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to De-Shebang-ing a Python program file?

One potential drawback of De-Shebang-ing a Python program file is that it may not be as portable, as the user would need to have Python installed on their system in order to run the code. Additionally, if the code uses any third-party libraries, the user would need to have those libraries installed as well. Therefore, it is important to consider the audience and purpose of the code before De-Shebang-ing it.