Dealing with non physics/math courses

• Courses
  • Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the speaker has received A's in all their courses except for the humanities course they are currently taking. They are concerned about their final grade and believe the professor is unfair in their grading methods. They also mention their lack of interest in the course and the potential impact of their grades on their GPA. The speaker is unable to retake the course with a different professor due to financial constraints and is considering purposely failing the final in order to retake it with a different professor. They express disbelief at how the current professor has a job.
QuarkCharmer
I have somehow managed to accomplish A's in every course that I have taken so far. The humanaties course that I am taking this semester is about to end soon and I fear that there is a possibility that I will get a B. My math calculates my grade out just under the border from an A.

The only thing left is the Final, and the Professor is very particular. I probably have the highest grade in the class, but that just does not seem to be enough to get an A. All of his questions are ambigious, rather than asking direct questions, he picks things for the tests that are opinion based. Basically, your opinion must match his in order to get the question right. Everytime we review a test, 90% of the class objects to the "correct" answer on 5 or 6 of his questions, it's almost like he hasn't read the material himself in 50 years.

I am certainly not placing the blame on him, I am sure that I can work harder, but I always encounter a question where there could legitimately be 2 different answers. To make things worse, they are multiple choice questions, so it is impossible to explain my answer. His "opinion" is often different from the opinions of "expert critics" on the subjects too.

How do you deal with courses that you just have no interest in? How much impact will these grades have on me? Do schools take into account what type of classes each grade contributing towards your GPA are?

To top things off, I won't be able to re-take the course with a different professor because my financial aid will not pay for it unless I basically fail the class. I am almost tempted to just bomb the Final and hope that it damages my grade enough to score a D, and then re-take it with a professor who is more realistic. I honestly don't know how this guy has a job.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No graduate school will care if you got a B in one humanities class as long as your math and science grades are As. If you're consistently getting Cs or Ds in gen. ed. classes, then it might be an issue, but one B is irrelevant.

What are some effective study strategies for non physics/math courses?

1. Develop a study schedule: Set aside specific times for studying each subject and stick to it.2. Take thorough notes: This will help you remember important information and concepts.3. Use visual aids: Create diagrams, charts, or mind maps to help you understand complex concepts.4. Seek help when needed: Don't be afraid to ask your professor or classmates for clarification or assistance.5. Connect the material to real life: This will make the subject more interesting and easier to remember.

How can I improve my critical thinking skills in non physics/math courses?

1. Practice active reading: Ask questions, make connections, and take notes while reading.2. Engage in class discussions: This will help you analyze and evaluate different perspectives.3. Utilize different problem-solving techniques: Experiment with trial and error, brainstorming, or using analogies.4. Seek out diverse sources of information: This will help you consider different viewpoints and strengthen your critical thinking.5. Reflect on your own biases: Be aware of your own beliefs and how they may influence your thinking.

How do I manage my time effectively when balancing non physics/math courses with other responsibilities?

1. Prioritize tasks: Identify the most important and urgent tasks and work on those first.2. Create a schedule: Plan out your day or week to ensure you have enough time for all your responsibilities.3. Avoid multitasking: Focus on one task at a time to maximize efficiency.4. Take breaks: Make sure to take breaks to avoid burnout and maintain productivity.5. Learn to say no: Don't take on more responsibilities than you can handle.

What are some effective ways to prepare for exams in non physics/math courses?

1. Review notes and class materials regularly: This will help you retain information and catch any gaps in your understanding.2. Practice active studying: Use flashcards, create practice exams, or teach the material to someone else.3. Seek out additional resources: Look for online tutorials, review books, or study groups.4. Get a good night's sleep before the exam: This will help you stay focused and perform better.5. Stay calm and confident: Trust in your preparation and don't let test anxiety affect your performance.

How can I stay motivated and engaged in non physics/math courses?

1. Set goals: Identify what you want to achieve in the course and use that as motivation.2. Find personal connections to the material: Relate it to your interests, goals, or future career.3. Participate in class: Engage in discussions, ask questions, and take an active role in your learning.4. Reward yourself: Celebrate your achievements and progress.5. Stay positive: Keep a positive attitude and remind yourself of the value and importance of the course.