DeBroglie Wavelength Comparison

In summary, the deBroglie wavelength for an electron in the n=6 orbit of He+ is three times larger compared to the n=2 orbit. This can be derived by plugging the Bohr radius (rn=n2aB) into the quantization of paths of electrons equation. However, it is unclear if the Bohr model can be used in relation to deBroglie.
MCS5280

Homework Statement

Compare the deBroglie wavelength for an electron in the n=6 orbit of He+ compared to the n=2 orbit. Is the deBroglie wavelength the same, smaller, or larger? Derive this.

Homework Equations

Quantization of Paths of Electrons:
2 pi r = n (lambda)

Bohr Radius:
rn=n2 aB

The Attempt at a Solution

So plugging eqn 2 into eqn 1 and solving for lambda (and using Z = 2 for He+) gives:
wavelength = pi n aB

So using this, the deBroglie wavelength of n=6 would be 3 times larger than the n=2 wavelength?
I really don't know if this is correct. I don't know if the Bohr model can be used with deBroglie (they are kind of related right?)

Edit:
Ok the math symbol stuff is kind of messed up, I fixed what I could but it kept showing things wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

1. What is the DeBroglie Wavelength Comparison?

The DeBroglie Wavelength Comparison is a concept in quantum mechanics that compares the wavelength of a particle to its momentum. It was proposed by physicist Louis DeBroglie in the early 20th century and is an important principle in understanding the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

2. How is the DeBroglie Wavelength calculated?

The DeBroglie Wavelength is calculated by dividing Planck's constant by the momentum of the particle. The formula is λ = h/p, where λ represents the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the DeBroglie Wavelength Comparison?

The DeBroglie Wavelength Comparison is significant because it shows the wave-particle duality of matter. It demonstrates that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit properties of both waves and particles, depending on the situation. This principle has helped scientists understand the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.

4. How does the DeBroglie Wavelength Comparison relate to the uncertainty principle?

The DeBroglie Wavelength Comparison is related to the uncertainty principle in that it highlights the limitations of our ability to measure both the position and momentum of a particle accurately. According to the uncertainty principle, the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less we know about its position, and vice versa.

5. Can the DeBroglie Wavelength be observed in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the DeBroglie Wavelength can be observed in real-life scenarios, such as in electron diffraction experiments. In these experiments, electrons are shot through a crystal and diffract, creating a pattern that can be measured. This pattern is a result of the DeBroglie Wavelength of the electrons interacting with the crystal lattice, demonstrating the wave-like behavior of particles.