1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay of Alpha Particle Through Quantum Tunneling

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By using the graph attached,
    Why high energy alpha particles are emitted by alpha-emitters of short wavelength?

2. Relevant equations

Transmission Coefficient Equation : T=exp(-2kd)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ain't really sure. Can't really figure out why is the graph shaped like that in the first place.
    Anyone wants to give it a shot into explaining what accounts for this the shape of the graph first?

Many thanks in advance :D

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2
    i reckon the energy of the nucleons is very low in the well, ie the nucleons are most stable there (due to conditions given by strong nuclear force), the rapid peak indicates that outside this radius, the energetic stability is very low, hence peak energy value, this subsides with increasing distance inversely with distance - arising due to coulomb force.

so am i within the 10^-15m or have i missed the point, i am humble i can handle it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?