Decay of Radium Finding Kinetic Energy of products

In summary, The homework equation states that E_{2}=-E_{6} and E_{2}^{2}-2E_{6}E_{2} equals E_{\alpha}^{2}.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

HxPrDjm.jpg

Homework Equations

Please see below.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure my method is correct but I'm getting small answers:

$$
COM \\ \\

E_{6}= E_{2}+E_{\alpha}
\\
\\
Minus \ E_{2} \ and \ square \ both\ sides\\

\\
E_{6}^{2}+E_{2}^{2}-2E_{2}E_{6}=E_{\alpha}^{2}\\ \\

E_{6}^{2}= m_{6}^{2}c^{4}\\
\\

E_{2}^{2}= \rho_{\alpha}^{2}c^{2} + m_{2}^{2}c^{4}\\ \\
E_{\alpha}^{2}= \rho_{\alpha}^{2}c^{2} + m_{\alpha}^{2}c^{4}\\ \\

Rearranging \ I \ get: \\ \\
E_{2}=\frac{(m_{6}^{2}+m_{2}^{2}-m_{\alpha}^{2})c^{4}}{2E_{6}}$$

Now this is where I get strange results (probably my units), if I sub in for $$E_{6}$$ and insert numerical values I get:

$$E_{2}=\frac{(8.71\cdot 10^{10})(\frac{MeV}{c^{2}})^{2}c^{4}}{2\cdot (210541.379)(\frac{MeV}{c^{2}})c^{2}}= \frac{(8.71\cdot 10^{10})(\frac{MeV}{c^{2}})c^{2}}{2\cdot (210541.379)}$$

Which is 206808MeV. Then if I divide by c^2 I get ~7x10^-4 MeV/c^2 which is really small?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get for the kinetic energy of the alpha particle?
Does the energy balance work out with those numbers?

If yes, what are the velocities of the particles - does that conserve momentum?

If not, something went wrong. Probably in the "rearranging" part that you did not show.

Likes rwooduk
mfb said:
What do you get for the kinetic energy of the alpha particle?
Does the energy balance work out with those numbers?

If yes, what are the velocities of the particles - does that conserve momentum?

If not, something went wrong. Probably in the "rearranging" part that you did not show.

I get $$E_{\alpha}= \sqrt{E_{6}^{2}+E_{2}^{2}-2E_{6}E_{2}}$$

Now I'm really confused (it's getting late in the day!) because:

$$E_{6}= m_{6}^{2}c^{4}= (210541.379)^{2}(\frac{MeV}{c^{2}})^{2}c^{2}=147(\frac{MeV}{c})^{2}$$

Why do I have (MeV)^2?

Think I'll start this one fresh in the morning, I think I'm getting the units all mixed up. Not sure why I divided by c^2 at the end of the OP.

rwooduk said:
$$E_{6}= m_{6}^{2}c^{4}$$
That part cannot be right, the units do not match. I guess the energy should be squared.

Likes rwooduk
Before decay you have ## \mathbf{p}_0 = 0 ## and ## E_{Ra} ## (on cm frame) . After decay, you have ## \mathbf{p}_a + \mathbf{p}_{Rn} ## and ## E_{a} + E_{Rn} ##. All are vector components so, as @mfb say, may be squared.

Likes rwooduk
Yes, thank you both, you are right I have it now!

1. What is the decay of radium?

The decay of radium is a process in which the nucleus of an atom spontaneously breaks down and releases energy in the form of alpha, beta, or gamma radiation. This process continues until the atom reaches a stable form.

2. How is the kinetic energy of products calculated in the decay of radium?

The kinetic energy of products in the decay of radium is calculated using the equation: KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the product and v is its velocity. This equation takes into account the mass and speed of the product to determine its kinetic energy.

3. Why is it important to study the decay of radium?

Studying the decay of radium is important for several reasons. First, radium is a naturally occurring radioactive element and understanding its decay can help us better understand other radioactive elements. Additionally, studying the decay of radium can provide valuable insights into nuclear physics and help us develop new technologies such as nuclear power.

4. How is the decay of radium measured?

The decay of radium is measured using a unit called the half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the original amount of radioactive material to decay. Radium has a half-life of approximately 1,600 years, meaning that after 1,600 years, only half of the original amount will remain.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with radium?

When working with radium, it is important to take proper safety precautions to minimize exposure to radiation. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and a lab coat, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper disposal procedures for radioactive materials.