1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decay Rates ,Radioactivity ,Half life easy question

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The radioactive nuclides released into the atmosphere by the Chernobyl nuclear accident
    in 1986 included both 131I (t 1/2= 8 days) and 137Cs (t 1/2= 30 years). Given that 5 times as
    many 137 Cs as 131 I are present in the reactor in steady state, and that 131 I is produced in
    roughly 1% of all fissions, calculate
    (a) the ratio of activities ACs/AI immediately following the explosion.
    (b) how many days before the activities are equal.
    (c) Given that the Chernobyl reactor produced 1000MW of power, estimate AI 4 days
    after the explosion.

2. Relevant equations
    it would take me considerable amount of effort to find what means 1% of all fissions produce I 131 .

3. The attempt at a solution

it is A level to find that λ= ln2/ (t1/2) and A= λΝ as is probably the whole exercise.
    which gives Acs/AI easily since 5NI =Ncs is given,

b) N=No e^-λt should suffice

c) maybe among the other equations P=Po e^-λt has to be used once the power has been found 4 days after the accident , some other equation must be used to find AI ,note that AI initial is not given ,but only as a function of Acs.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

AI initial can be calculated given the reactor power level and the fact that "131 I is produced in roughly 1% of all fissions". I suggest you put in the "considerable amount of effort" to figure out what that statement means.

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    Ok
    What about the other questions.Does anyone know the equation for power?

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Think of it this way. If the reactor is operating at a certain power level, there are a certain number of fissions/sec, which you should be able to calculate if you know how much energy is released in each fission. The problem tells you what fraction of the fission events produce I-131, so you should be able to calculate the production rate of I-131. In steady state, the production rate equals the decay rate, so you should be able to calculate the steady state activity of I-131. Does this help?

6. Jan 7, 2012 #5
    im afraid this confused me even more .Am i thinking correct for a) and b) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook