Decide where Greg goes this summer

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary: You get the idea.In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is considering different places to visit and is seeking advice. The conversation also includes some humorous banter about Amsterdam being in Germany and the merits of different destinations. Ultimately, the summary suggests that the individual lived in Hawaii for four years and suggests visiting a botanical garden on the Big Island during the rainy season.

Where should Greg visit this summer?

• Maui, Hawaii

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Vancouver, Canada

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Tokyo, Japan

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Amsterdam, Germany

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
mattmns said:
Arguing over emphasis, quite sad indeed. what if someone does this. OHH!
Over emphasizing over emphasis?

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
Over emphasizing over emphasis?
DANG!

Over empahsis to the max

tribdog said:
I would like to APOLOGIZE to you right now...emphatically.

:rofl: Aww, I can't stay mad at you. :!)

Back to the topic...
Okay, I'm not voting to send Greg to Amsterdam, Germany as he may wind up obliterated being transported to a nonexistant place, and I don't know if we can survive without him around here.

That narrows the choices down a bit. Summer vacation...hmm...Hawaii always seemed like a good escape from cold weather, so not sure I'd choose to go there in the summer. What's the climate like in Tokyo in summer?

I voted Vancouver Canada...never been to any of the other locations, but Vancouver is a fabulous city. People are friendly, there is so much diversity, and Vancouver also is known as Vansterdam for it's liberal style.

Kerrie said:
I voted Vancouver Canada...never been to any of the other locations, but Vancouver is a fabulous city. People are friendly, there is so much diversity, and Vancouver also is known as Vansterdam for it's liberal style.
but its in Canada, yuck. Vancouver's a looser.
Tokyo, if you can afford a vacation in Tokyo you are charging way too much for membership. Tokyo no no.
Amsterdam, why are you thinking about amsterdam? If it's to party and have sex go for it. but when I think of Amsterdam that's what I think of, you can do the same things on Bourbon street in New Orleans pretty easily and a lot cheaper. Amsterdam seems like a scam.
Hawaii, has to be my choice. You won't find a combination of beautiful scenery, beautiful women and beautiful climate anywhere else in the world. Maui wowie.

That all being said I would probably head to Europe just because I think old things are cool. Castles, art, museums etc. We just don't have things like that here, especially not here in the West. Europeans built castles, Indians built teepees. no comparison.

I would personally choose a place like Banff, Alberta or Whistler B.C.

Go skiing or snowboarding!

I voted for Tokyo, which is fine if one likes big cities. Imperial gardens are interesting. I however prefer Osaka, or even Kyoto. One could take Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen (Nozomi) from Tokyo to Osaka, round trip. I actually prefer Osaka and the surrounding area, and eastward toward Kyoto. Osaka has a really cool acquarium based on the Pacific Ocean and Ring of Fire.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html

Osaka-jo -
2157_02.jpg

Umeda Sky Building -
4002_01.jpg

www.mauigateway.com/~rw/video/
www.mauiactivities.net/
www.mauimapp.com/

From Maui, one can take a ferry to Molokai.

Hawaii is nice too. Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea (observatories) are interesting.
http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/ml.htm [Broken] - if you like volcanoes
http://www.homestead.com/mstecker/astsite1.html

Amsterdam (the one in the Netherlands) is interesting. There is lots to see and do there. If you get bored in Amsterdam (unlikely), one could travel over to Düsseldorf and then down the Rhein River Valley to Köln, Koblenz, Mainz and Karlsruhe. Lots of old castles between Köln and Mainz. http://www.rhinecastles.com/.

Haven't been to Vancouver yet. But I like Jason's suggestion - Banff/Jasper area is very :cool: . But that's the other side of BC into western Alberta. http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Maps/?id=75 Maybe some other time, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're only visiting for a couple weeks, Hawaii might be okay.

It can't be that great of a place to live though. Kind of boring. Weather's the same every single day of the year - high of 71, low of 69, showers in the morning and sunny in the afternoon. Oh, there's one exception - hurricanes! Then the forecast is high of 71, low of 69, horizontal rain all day. You live on an island whichever island you live on. That means there's not very many places you can drive to on summer vacation. And the salt air causes your car to rust even if there were someplace to drive. All you do is play golf and surf everyday, so you wind up sucking at video games. Hawaiian shirts are always designed by someone who's bored out of their mind, so you always wind up wearing an ugly shirt. Your choices for shoes are hiking sandals, running sandals, leisure sandals, and sand sandals.

It's no wonder Hawaiians always pack up and move to Alaska as soon as they can.

BobG said:
If you're only visiting for a couple weeks, Hawaii might be okay.

It can't be that great of a place to live though. Kind of boring. Weather's the same every single day of the year - high of 71, low of 69, showers in the morning and sunny in the afternoon. Oh, there's one exception - hurricanes! Then the forecast is high of 71, low of 69, horizontal rain all day. You live on an island whichever island you live on. That means there's not very many places you can drive to on summer vacation. And the salt air causes your car to rust even if there were someplace to drive. All you do is play golf and surf everyday, so you wind up sucking at video games. Hawaiian shirts are always designed by someone who's bored out of their mind, so you always wind up wearing an ugly shirt. Your choices for shoes are hiking sandals, running sandals, leisure sandals, and sand sandals.

It's no wonder Hawaiians always pack up and move to Alaska as soon as they can.
you just described paradise.

Go to Japan, come back, and tell me the places I must go there. :biggrin:

Chrono said:
Go to Japan, come back, and tell me the places I must go there. :biggrin:
Whoa! time out. nobody told me he was coming back!