Deciding between Mechanical and Electrical engineering

In summary, the individual is majoring in physics but is more interested in engineering. They are trying to decide between taking Mechanical engineering classes now and obtaining the degree in two years, or finishing the physics major this year and getting a degree in Electrical engineering in three years. They are seeking advice on the job prospects and daily tasks of both fields. They have already decided to pursue an engineering degree and are considering enrolling in a graduate program. There may be some remedial undergraduate work required, but this varies depending on the school. Ultimately, they are struggling to choose between Mechanical and Electrical engineering and may need to make a decision based on personal preference.
zalook
Hello, I'm majoring in physics at the end of the year but I'm more interested in engineering now. The thing is that I could start taking Mechanical engineering classes now and obtaining the degree in two years from now (without obtaining the major in physics), or I could finish the physics major this year and later get a degree in Electrical engineering in three years from now.
My problem is that I don't know which one is the better choice since I like both, so I'd be glad if you could tell me about your current job as a Mechanical engineering or as an Electrical engineering. I'd like to know what do you exactly do on a regular day. I'm also interested in programming and my marks are pretty well for now if that helps. The job prospects after graduation are important for me too.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd complete the degree in physics and see if you can get accepted in a graduate engineering program. With your physics background this shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you do as Ben Zina recommends, you will only need about 2 years of remedial undergraduate work in engineering to get caught up for the graduate work.

One of the fundamental differences that you will encounter is this: With just a few exceptions, engineers rarely ever work with quantum mechanics (EEs do on rare occasions), astronomical problems (MEs do orbital mechanics for space travel), nuclear physics beyond power reactor physics, statistical thermodynamics. The work in physics in these areas will not have been very useful at all. On the other hand, undergraduate engineering students spend a lot of time in the lab building things, taking data, making things actually work, far more than physics students do. Where do you want to be when you finish your BS degree?

OldEngr63 said:
If you do as Ben Zina recommends, you will only need about 2 years of remedial undergraduate work in engineering to get caught up for the graduate work.

Er not always. It really depends on the school. In many cases some graduate departments may only require a semester of remedial courses. I'd only imagine a graduate department requiring a whole additional two years of remedial courses if you're coming from a completely non technical background (say a degree in literature). But of course this varies from school to school. In op's case he might be better off enrolling directly into a graduate program if only to save time.

Thanks for the answers. I've already decided about getting an engineering degree, but my problem is that I can't decide between Mechanical and Electrical engineering. I'm not from USA, in my country in order to get an engineering degree you must spend five years at the university, so the times involved are the ones I've described in the initial post.

I don't see how we can answer this question better than you can. If you like both of them and don't have a problem with the time commitment required by either, flip a coin.

Related to Deciding between Mechanical and Electrical engineering

1. What is the main difference between mechanical and electrical engineering?

The main difference between mechanical and electrical engineering is the focus of study. Mechanical engineering deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and structures. On the other hand, electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both mechanical and electrical engineering have excellent job prospects. However, the demand for electrical engineers is expected to grow at a faster rate due to the increasing use of technology and renewable energy sources. Mechanical engineers are also in high demand, especially in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

3. Is one field more challenging than the other?

The level of difficulty in mechanical and electrical engineering may vary depending on an individual's strengths and interests. Generally, mechanical engineering involves more hands-on work and physical principles, while electrical engineering is more theoretical and requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

4. Can I switch between mechanical and electrical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to switch between mechanical and electrical engineering. Many universities offer programs that allow students to specialize in both fields or take courses from both disciplines. However, it is important to note that some courses may not be transferable, and it may take longer to complete the degree if switching between the two fields.

5. Which field has a higher salary?

The salary for mechanical and electrical engineers can vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and experience. Generally, electrical engineers tend to have a slightly higher average salary. However, both fields offer competitive salaries and opportunities for growth and advancement.