Deciding if the series converges or diverges

• Thread starter Lord Dark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a series and the attempts to determine whether it diverges or not. The participants consider using the comparison test and suggest using a number that is greater than the given series to prove divergence. They also discuss a typo and clarify the inequality used in the comparison test.
Lord Dark

Homework Statement

Hi everyone ,, got the following question

Sum(k=1,infinity) (2009+5^(-k^3))/(k^2(1+e^(-k^2)))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first I think it diverges so I did a comparison which is :
ak = (2009+5^(-k^3))/(k^2(1+e^(-k^2)))
e^(k^2))/(5^(k^3)*k^2) which is less than ak ,,

but now what should I do ?? which test should I use to make it diverges (that is if it diverges)

note : I tried already ratio test and it didn't work and k-th term but I get (infinity over infinity) so it's no use ,, can someone help please

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be easy to see that
[tex]\frac{2009+ 5^{-k^3}}{1+ e^{-k^2}}< 2010[/tex]
compare this series to [itex]\sum 2010/k^2[/itex].

Thanks, jgens, for catching the typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol ,, first of all ,, can you explain it a little further ,, how can you choose a number where the function is less than it ( i mean 20010) how did you know that number ??

and why did you remove 5^(-k^3) and e^(-k^2) ?? do they cancel each other or what ?

Halls mistyped and probably meant that

[tex]\frac{2009 + 5^{-k^3}}{1 + e^{-k^2}} < 2010[/tex]

This inequality should be obvious since [itex]5^{-k^3} < 1[/itex] which implies that [itex]2009 + 5^{-k^3} < 2010[/itex]. Now, because [itex]1 + e^{-k^2} > 1[/itex] we know that

[tex]\frac{2009 + 5^{-k^3}}{1 + e^{-k^2}} < 2010[/tex]

Now, use the comparrison test as Halls suggested.

aha ,, now I got you ... thanks :)

What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is a series where the sum of its terms approaches a finite limit, while a divergent series is a series where the sum of its terms does not approach a finite limit.

How do I determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These methods involve comparing the series to other known series or using calculus techniques to evaluate the limit of the series.

What is the significance of a convergent or divergent series?

A convergent series is important because it represents a sum that approaches a finite value, while a divergent series has no finite value. This can have implications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

Are there any series that are always convergent or always divergent?

Yes, there are some special types of series that are always convergent or always divergent. For example, a geometric series with a ratio less than 1 is always convergent, while a harmonic series is always divergent.

What happens if I am unable to determine the convergence or divergence of a series?

If the convergence or divergence of a series cannot be determined using known methods, it is considered to be indeterminate. In this case, further analysis or specialized techniques may be needed to determine the behavior of the series.