Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciding Miller Index when building a transistor?

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    In obtaining the materials to build a transistor, should one choose wafers of the same Miller indexes? Will the lattice structure affect the interaction between two wafers?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean with interaction between two wafers? (How) do you want to use multiple wafers for a single transistor?

Different lattice structures will (in general) lead to different transistor properties.

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    The plan is to attach n-type wafers on the ends of a p-type. How would you go about doing this? How will the lattice structure effect the properties?

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Are we talking about the same thing? Those wafers can have billions of transistors on them, but putting them mechanically together does not give a transistor.

6. Dec 6, 2014 #5
    I would cut 2 small squares from the n-type wafer and one from the p-type, I would then attach them to form an NPN junction, after that I would place the apparatus in a kiln to form an oxide layer on the lattice, then etch out sections for the source and drain. It would look something like this.

Attached Files:

7. Dec 6, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I would be surprised if that works. Who came up with that idea and are there working examples?

8. Dec 6, 2014 #7
    Maybe its like a transistorized relay?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook