1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deciding Miller Index when building a transistor?

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    In obtaining the materials to build a transistor, should one choose wafers of the same Miller indexes? Will the lattice structure affect the interaction between two wafers?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean with interaction between two wafers? (How) do you want to use multiple wafers for a single transistor?

Different lattice structures will (in general) lead to different transistor properties.

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    The plan is to attach n-type wafers on the ends of a p-type. How would you go about doing this? How will the lattice structure effect the properties?

5. Dec 6, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Are we talking about the same thing? Those wafers can have billions of transistors on them, but putting them mechanically together does not give a transistor.

6. Dec 6, 2014 #5
    I would cut 2 small squares from the n-type wafer and one from the p-type, I would then attach them to form an NPN junction, after that I would place the apparatus in a kiln to form an oxide layer on the lattice, then etch out sections for the source and drain. It would look something like this.

Attached Files:

7. Dec 6, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I would be surprised if that works. Who came up with that idea and are there working examples?

8. Dec 6, 2014 #7
    Maybe its like a transistorized relay?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook