Decomposition of irrep. of G_2 into irreps. of A_2

In summary, the conversation is about recovering the decomposition of the fundamental representation of G2 into irreducible representations of A_2. The procedure, founded by Dynkin, uses the extended Dynkin diagram and the weights of the 7 representation are 1, 2, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, -1, -1, -1, -2. There was a mistake in the computation due to the wrong normalization, but it was corrected. The conversation also mentions a book on representation theory that may be helpful.
timb00
Hello everybody,

this is the first thread of mine. I try to recover the decomposition of
the fundamental representation (the 7) of G2 into irreducible representations of
A_2. It is given by

7 = 3 + [tex]\bar {3}[\tex] + 1

It maid be that I didn't understand the procedure, founded by Dynkin, to use the
extended Dynkin diagram.

o==o--o
a1 a2 ax

Where the last root is the extension. The weights of the 7 are :

{1, 2},
{1, 1},
{0, 1},
{0, 0},
{0, -1},
{-1, -1},
{-1, -2}

I'am using the Cartan subalgebra {a2,ax} to embed the A_2 in G_2. I think that this is
the point where I do a mistake? Maybe someone could help me with the decompostion.

Thanks for reading

Timb00

Physics news on Phys.org
You can take a look at Fulton and Harris book "Representation Theory", lecture 22. It is about the Lie algebra [tex]\mathfrak g_2[/tex] and includes the branching law that you ask about.

Hey Guy's,

thanks for reading my thread. I found my mistake. It was just the wrong normalization.
If someone is interested I will make a sketch how I compute the weight projector.

For the A_2 I take the Cartan sub algebra to be generated out of {a'1,a'2}={4/3*a2,4/3*ax}. The factor of 4/3 is because of the normalization. Now it is possible to get two independent equations :

(m_1 a1 + m_2 a2) (a'1) =4/3(m_1 a1 + m_2 a2)(a2)=(n_1 a'_1 + n_2 a'_2)(a'1)
<=> 4/3(m_2 1/4-m_1/8) = n_1 1/3 - n_2 1/6

and

(m_1 a1 + m_2 a2) (a'2) =4/3(m_1 a1 + m_2 a2)(ax)=(n_1 a'_1 + n_2 a'_2)(a'2)
<=> 4/3(m_2 1/4) = n_2 1/3 - n_1 1/6

In matrix notation one finds :

A(m_1,m_2)^T = B (n_1,m_2)^T <=> P (m_1,m_2)^T = (n_1,m_2)^T

=> P = B^-1A

If one acts with P on the weights one findes that the set of G_2 weights decompose into
a 3 + {\bar 3} +1 .

Thanks, timb00.

P.s : hey martinbn, thanks for your answer. I saw it after I wrote the text. But I will have
a look into the Fulton.

What is the definition of "decomposition of irrep. of G_2 into irreps. of A_2"?

The decomposition of an irreducible representation (irrep.) of the Lie group G_2 into irreps. of the Lie subgroup A_2 refers to the process of breaking down a representation of the larger group G_2 into smaller representations that belong to the subgroup A_2.

Why is the decomposition of irrep. of G_2 into irreps. of A_2 important?

This decomposition is important because it allows for a better understanding of the structure and properties of the group G_2. It also simplifies calculations and makes it easier to study the group's representations.

What is the relationship between G_2 and A_2?

G_2 is a larger Lie group, while A_2 is a subgroup of G_2. This means that all elements of A_2 are also elements of G_2, and the group structure of A_2 is contained within that of G_2.

How is the decomposition of irrep. of G_2 into irreps. of A_2 calculated?

The decomposition is calculated using a mathematical technique called branching, which involves finding the common eigenstates of the generators of G_2 and A_2. The resulting eigenstates form the irreducible representations of A_2 that make up the decomposition.

What are the applications of the decomposition of irrep. of G_2 into irreps. of A_2?

This decomposition has applications in various fields, including theoretical physics, chemistry, and mathematics. It can be used to study the symmetry and dynamics of molecules, as well as to solve problems in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory.