Deconvolve absorption from this spectrometer signal

In summary: Or, you could try a weighted average, taking into account the initial laser intensity profile. But could somebody please point me to the correct distribution and way to deconvolve the noise from the signal?No, that's not how you do it. You use the Beer-Lambert law to calculate the absorption. First you use the laser to produce a monochromatic light, then you use the spectrometer to measure the intensity of the light as a function of a wavelength. Then you use the Beer-Lambert law to calculate the absorption.Or, try a Google search for approaches commercially available.
anpl
TL;DR Summary
I have a monochromatic laser and a tissue, and I want to measure the absorption with a spectrometer. What absorption do I use?
Hello all,

I have a monochromatic laser peaking at 808 nm and some non-scattering sample.
I want to measure the absorption with a spectrometer.

I can use the Beer-Lambert law to do this, but since it is a monochromatic laser I have some doubts.

I could do a weighted-average, taking into account the initial laser intensity profile. But could somebody please point me to the correct distribution and way to deconvolve the noise from the signal? Or am I thinking wrong somehow?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not really my field, this is to hopefully get things started.

How about comparing Area Under Curve (AUC) both with and without the sample. Bandwidth perhaps at the 50% or 10% of the peak amplitude wavelengths without the sample. The 50% points are usually referred to as FWHM, Full Width Half Max, points.

Also try a Google search for approaches commercially available.
https://www.google.com/search?&q=identify+material+by+spectrometer
Anyone else have some input?

Likes anpl
anpl said:
Summary: I have a monochromatic laser and a tissue, and I want to measure the absorption with a spectrometer. What absorption do I use?

I have a monochromatic laser peaking at 808 nm and some non-scattering sample.
I want to measure the absorption with a spectrometer
Well, you want to use two thing designed to never worked together. A laser produces a monochromatic light. A spectrometer let's you measure the intensity of a light as a function of an wavelength.
Yes, you can set your spectrometer to the wavelength of the laser and measure the light intensity with and without your sample, take the ratio and get your absorption value at one wavelength - that of the the laser.
Of course, to do that, you don't need a spectrometer, just a light detector that respond at the wavelength of the laser.
Or, get a incandescent light, and use the spectrometer to get the absorption spectrum, i.e. the absorption coefficient as a function of a wavelength.

1. What is the purpose of deconvolving absorption from a spectrometer signal?

The purpose of deconvolving absorption from a spectrometer signal is to isolate and analyze specific components of the signal, such as the absorption spectrum of a sample. This allows for a more accurate and detailed understanding of the sample's properties.

2. How does deconvolution work in a spectrometer?

Deconvolution in a spectrometer involves using mathematical algorithms to separate the overlapping signals in a spectrum. This is typically done by fitting the signal to a known function or by using a deconvolution software program.

3. What are the benefits of deconvolving absorption from a spectrometer signal?

Deconvolving absorption from a spectrometer signal can provide more precise measurements and allow for the identification of individual components in a complex mixture. It can also improve the accuracy of quantitative analysis and aid in the interpretation of spectral data.

4. Are there any limitations to deconvolving absorption from a spectrometer signal?

Yes, there are limitations to deconvolving absorption from a spectrometer signal. It can be challenging to accurately deconvolve signals with significant overlap or noise. Additionally, the choice of deconvolution method and parameters can affect the results and may require some trial and error.

5. When is deconvolution necessary in spectrometer analysis?

Deconvolution is necessary in spectrometer analysis when there is significant overlap between signals or when more detailed information about the sample is needed. It is also commonly used in the analysis of complex mixtures or in cases where accurate quantification is required.