Decrease a substance's temp by stirring

• Thread starter misskitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    decrease
In summary, this question is confusing because it asks if you can increase the temperature of something by stirring it. The answer is that by stirring, you are transferring energy to the object and the temperature will increase slightly.
misskitty
This question is really bugging me.

If water is in a sealed and insulated container and is stirred will the temperature slightly increase, slightly decrease or stay the same? Explain your answer.

I'm really stuck. I was going to say slighty increase, but I'm not sure because can you increase the temperture of something by stirring it? I know you can decrease a substances temperature by stirring. Ahh, help please, I'm really confused. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the stirring is transferring work to the water, the temperature would increase slightly.

Using the first law of thermodynamics:

[tex]E_2-E_1 = Q - W[/tex]

Since it is adiabatic, Q=0. Since work is being done on the system, the work would be negative, which makes...

[tex]E_2-E_1 = 0-(-W)[/tex]

[tex]E_2-E_1=\Delta KE+\Delta PE+\Delta U = W[/tex]

Assuming there is no change in the kinetic or potential energy of the system, the only change is in internal energy.

misskitty said:
This question is really bugging me.

If water is in a sealed and insulated container and is stirred will the temperature slightly increase, slightly decrease or stay the same? Explain your answer.

I'm really stuck. I was going to say slighty increase, but I'm not sure because can you increase the temperture of something by stirring it? I know you can decrease a substances temperature by stirring. Ahh, help please, I'm really confused. :frown:
This is exactly how Joule discovered that heat was a form of energy. Since, in stirring, one has applies a force over a distance, work is being done. The work adds kinetic energy to the water as evidenced by its motion. However, eventually the water stops moving due to friction, and that kinetic energy is dispersed (into a more random kinetic energy of individual molecules of water) and increases the temperature of the water.

AM

Well, by stirring something, you're putting energy in...

Hot water normally cools by conduction of heat through the container wall and by evaporation of the hottest molecules. Stirring the water encourages evaporation and also brings fresh hot water into contact with the container wall. So it encourages both types of heat loss. However, if the container is completely insulated to prevent conduction loss, and completely sealed to prevent evaporation loss, then the energy put into stirring will cause it to heat slightly.

So why does stirring a hot cup of coffee cool the coffee? Does the heat energy transfer to the spoon?

See rdt2's explanation...the cup of coffee model is not an ideal, closed system. To summarize what rdt2 said, heat is transferred away from the coffee through the mug and into the air. Although stirring adds energy (and heat) to the system, it also encourages the cooling process through the mug and into the air. It encourages a faster LOSS of heat than it causes an INCREASE in heat, so you get a net loss of heat.

Ok. Thanks. :biggrin: That helps...now can someone explain to me why I can do all the really complicated stuff no problem and get it while the rest of my peers have their mouths hanging open out of sheer confusion...yet I can't get something SIMPLE like THIS? :devil:

No, I can't really explain that...but take solace knowing that everyone needs a little help now and then.
:smile:

Thats good to know. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. Kinda makes me feel a bit stupid when I have to ask for help...::redface:

1. How does stirring decrease a substance's temperature?

Stirring a substance increases the rate of heat transfer between the substance and its surroundings, causing it to cool down. This is because stirring brings colder molecules from the surroundings into contact with the warmer molecules of the substance, allowing heat to be transferred more quickly.

2. Can stirring decrease the temperature of any substance?

Yes, stirring can decrease the temperature of most substances. However, some substances, such as supercooled liquids, may require more intense stirring or other methods of cooling to decrease their temperature.

3. How long does it take for stirring to decrease a substance's temperature?

The time it takes for stirring to decrease a substance's temperature depends on various factors, such as the initial temperature of the substance, the intensity of the stirring, and the surrounding temperature. Generally, the more intense the stirring, the quicker the substance's temperature will decrease.

4. What is the ideal stirring speed for decreasing a substance's temperature?

The ideal stirring speed for decreasing a substance's temperature depends on the substance's viscosity, density, and other properties. It is recommended to start with a slow stirring speed and gradually increase it until the desired temperature decrease is achieved.

5. Can stirring decrease a substance's temperature indefinitely?

No, stirring cannot decrease a substance's temperature indefinitely as it is limited by the temperature of the surroundings. Once the substance reaches the same temperature as its surroundings, there will be no further temperature decrease. Additionally, stirring can also cause the substance to reach its freezing point, preventing further temperature decrease.