1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Decreasing sequence of closed balls in COMPLETE metric space

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example of a decreasing sequence of closed balls in a complete metric space with empty intersection.
    Hint 1: use a metric on N topologically equivalent to the discrete metric so that {n≥k} are closed balls. In={n,n+1,n+2,...}.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the following post:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=374596
    We showed that the metric d(m,n)=∑1/2k where the sum is from k=m to k=n-1, satisfies all the conditions required in the problem, except for completeness.
    With that metric, we formed the closed balls by taking {n E N: d(k,n)≤1/2k-1} = {k-1,k,k+1,k+2,...} = Ik-1. And I1,I2,I3,... is a decreasing sequence of closed balls with empty intersection.

Now, we have to come up with another metric (possibly a modification of the above) that also satisfies completeness (i.e. every Cauchy sequence in N converges (in N)).

Does anyone have any idea?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2
    If I define d to be

d(m,n)= 1/2 + ∑1/2k where the sum is from k=m to k=n-1, if m<n
    d(m,n)=0, if m=n
    d(m,n)=d(n,m), if m>n

Will this work or not?

Could someone kindly confirm this/correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thank you!

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know, I think that does work. {2,3,4,5,...} is no longer Cauchy, so the space is complete. Why don't you start filling in the other steps? Like showing 'd' is a metric and showing {n,n+1,...} is an interval?

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4
    d(m,n)= 1/2 + ∑1/2k where the sum is from k=m to k=n-1, if m<n
    d(m,n)=0, if m=n
    d(m,n)=d(n,m), if m>n

d(1,2)=1, d(2,3)=0.75, d(3,4)=0.625
    Define
    B1=Closed ball of radius 1 about 2
    B2=Closed ball of radius 0.75 about 3
    B3=Closed ball of radius 0.625 about 4

Does this give the decreasing sequence of closed balls with B1={1,2,3,4,...}, B2={2,3,4,...}, B3={3,4,5,...}?

I am quite confident that B1={1,2,3,4,...}, B2={2,3,4,...}, B3={3,4,5,...} unless I've make some mistakes. But I would appreciate if someone can confirm that I'm producing the decreasing sequence of closed balls correctly.

thanks.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  6. Feb 8, 2010 #5
    Using an upper bound based on the infinite geometric series, I think I've shown that my results in post #4 are correct.

But now how can we actually PROVE that the metric space (N,d) is COMPLETE? (i.e. every Cauchy sequence in N converges (in N))

For any n E N, the open ball of radius 1/2 about n = B(1/2,n) = {n}. But does this show that every Cauchy sequence in N converges (in N)) ??? I'm puzzled about this part, and I would appreciate if someone can help me out.

thanks.

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm liking your methodical approach here. Doing examples like this is the only way to get a feeling for what's going on. You've just got a typo in "B1=Closed ball of radius 0.1 about 2". You meant "B1=Closed ball of radius 1.0 about 2". Great work so far. Keep it up.

8. Feb 8, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now it's getting easy again after the rude interruption from the last bogus hint. Pick epsilon=1/4. If {an} is Cauchy, then |an-am|<1/4 for n,m>N. That means an=am, right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook