1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Dedicated course on optics during my physics major

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    I've been planning out my future coursework and it seems unlikely that I'll be able to take a dedicated course on optics during my physics major.

Therefore, I'm hoping for some suggestions about Optics textbooks that would make a good reference for self-study during the summer. I'm a junior and have already taken the "core courses" (classical mechanics, QM, E&M) in the major, but I've found my understanding of optics is quite limited during my lab work.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
  4. Jun 12, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hecht
    If you are buying save some money and get one of the older editions. Nothing has changed except it's 50% in pages with unecessary extra pictures.

For practical optics (optical instrumentation), pretty much anything by Warren J Smith.

5. Jun 12, 2008 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hecht wrote the Schaum's....it parallels Hecht and Zajak and is a lot cheaper.

6. Jun 13, 2008 #5
    I guess you don't need any more replies but just in case you need further backing up: Hecht.

BTW, I feel your pain; my undergrad class in optics only covered geometrical optics. Sigh....

7. Jun 13, 2008 #6
    I hated Hecht with passion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?