Deep sea fish - why should i be surprised?

• Thread starter splinewave
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent video showing fish living close to 5 miles under the ocean. Some of the factors these fish are overcoming include the lack of a swim bladder or lungs due to the enormous amount of pressure at that depth. The conversation also questions the effects of pressure on nerve axons and the solubility of oxygen at such depths. The discussion also touches on other organisms living at these depths and their ability to survive. Overall, the conversation highlights the incredible adaptations and challenges faced by these deep-sea fish.
splinewave
Well, many of you have seen a recent video of fish that live close to 5 miles under the ocean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mKotQs93Dc&feature=user
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95567915&live=1&ps=bb1

As an organism, does anyone know what sorts of factors these fish are actually overcoming? The news article stated that the fish somehow don't have a swim bladder or 'lungs'. Is this is because having an air bubble this low would require an enormous amount of strength?

Salt water has a density of 1.025g/cm3, and there are ~ 800,000 centimeters in 5 miles. so, for each section of square (cm2) centimeter of the fish, there are roughly 800 kilograms of water on top. Am I thinking logically? What must be the structural adaptations to adjust to this kind of force?

They also said that at this pressure, electrical conduction along nerve axons stops working. Something doesn't sound right about this. I don't know how force or pressure works at the molecular level, but I don't see why pressure would affect the ability for the ion channels in the membrane of the axon to work, or the ability of the membrane capacitance to store charge/maintain voltage.

Also, I wonder if the solubility of oxygen drops at that level of pressure. I would say 'no' because I'd think it was more about the stuff dissolved in the water like salts that would affect the amount of oxygen. On the other hand, the oxygen must have to diffuse down from the surface atmosphere, but I'm assuming that at equilibrium the oxygen would be relatively similar @ say 1,2,3,4 miles down.

Cheers!

David

Biology news on Phys.org
In the video, they mentioned that the fish eat shrimp. Well, shrimp have a nervous system, and they also use oxygen - why don't we care about them? There must be all sort of microorganisms down there too ... and we don't worry about them going 'pop'. :)

Pressure acts in all directions, so it doesn't require any kind of strength to swim at that kind of depth. Obviously, it isn't possible for any structure to withstand that kind of force if the force was unbalanced. Consider that scuba divers go down as far as 300 feet - how much pressure is that? And the only thing that complicates deep diving for people is getting the air mixture right and avoiding the effects of the decompression.

1. What makes deep sea fish surprising?

Deep sea fish are surprising because they have adapted to live in extreme environments with high pressure, low temperatures, and little to no sunlight. They also have unique physical characteristics, such as bioluminescence and transparent bodies, that are not seen in other fish species.

2. How do deep sea fish survive in such extreme conditions?

Deep sea fish have evolved to have special adaptations that allow them to survive in the deep ocean. These include the ability to withstand high pressure, the ability to see in low light conditions, and specialized organs for finding and catching prey.

3. Are there any benefits to living in the deep sea?

Yes, there are several benefits to living in the deep sea. Deep sea fish have access to abundant food sources, as well as protection from predators that cannot survive in such extreme conditions. They also play an important role in the ocean's ecosystem by recycling nutrients and providing food for other deep sea creatures.

4. How do deep sea fish communicate with each other?

Deep sea fish use a variety of methods to communicate with each other, including bioluminescence, sound, and chemical signals. Some species can produce light using specialized organs, while others use sounds or chemical signals to attract mates or ward off predators.

5. Are deep sea fish affected by human activities?

Yes, deep sea fish are affected by human activities such as deep sea fishing, pollution, and climate change. Overfishing can deplete their populations, while pollution and climate change can disrupt their habitats and food sources. It is important for us to understand and monitor the impact of our actions on these unique and important creatures.