1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defenestration homework not going so well -_-

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    A ball is thrown horizontally from the top of
    a building 53.8 m high. The ball strikes the
    ground at a point 119 m from the base of the
    building.
    The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s. The time (I got this answer and it's correct and all) is 3.3135sec.
    (part 2 of 4) Find the initial velocity of the ball.
    (part 3 of 4) Find the x component of its velocity just before it strikes the ground.
    007 (part 4 of 4) 10.0 points
    Find the y component of its velocity just before it strikes the ground.

vaverage = d/t

a = Vdelta/t

vf = vi + at

I don't even know any others -_-

I tried to use vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad??????? It didn't work. I am really lost but if someone could tell me which formula (kinematics) to use that would be great.

I already got the time (part 1 of 4) to equal 3.3135sec but despite using the right equations etc I can't get the other three parts.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The ball was thrown horizontally. How far did it travel horizontally? Over what time? What can change the horizontal velocity?

What's its initial y-velocity? What could change the y-velocity?

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
    Accelerationg would change it, and I tried the answer (online homework) in both negative and positive?? The initial y-velocity goes unstated.

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

gneill

Acceleration would change what in particular?

The ball was thrown horizontally. What does that mean for the x and y components of the initial velocity?

What equation describes the x-position with respect to time? How about the y-position?

6. Sep 28, 2011 #5
    Acceleration would change the velocity only in the y-direction. Acceleration and therefore velocity in the x-direction remain constant, with accelerationx=0 m/s.

[itex]\Delta[/itex]s=vit + .5 (a)(t2)

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

7. Sep 28, 2011 #6
    Actually that didn't work either -___-

8. Sep 28, 2011 #7

gneill

Didn't work for what? You'll have to be more specific. There are several parts to the problem. What are you trying to find first?

9. Sep 28, 2011 #8

berkeman

Sorry if I missed it. What's Defenestration?

10. Sep 28, 2011 #9

berkeman

Sorry if I missed it. What's Defenestration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook