Defenestration homework not going so well -_-

• Thread starter liagee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial velocity, x-component of velocity, and y-component of velocity of a ball thrown horizontally from a building. The conversation also mentions using various formulas such as velocity = distance/time, vf = vi + at, and vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad to solve the problem. The acceleration of gravity is given as 9.8 m/s and the ball strikes the ground after 3.3135 seconds. The conversation also touches upon the x and y components of velocity, and how they are affected by acceleration.
liagee
A ball is thrown horizontally from the top of
a building 53.8 m high. The ball strikes the
ground at a point 119 m from the base of the
building.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s. The time (I got this answer and it's correct and all) is 3.3135sec.
(part 2 of 4) Find the initial velocity of the ball.
(part 3 of 4) Find the x component of its velocity just before it strikes the ground.
007 (part 4 of 4) 10.0 points
Find the y component of its velocity just before it strikes the ground.vaverage = d/t

a = Vdelta/t

vf = vi + at

I don't even know any others -_-

I tried to use vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad?? It didn't work. I am really lost but if someone could tell me which formula (kinematics) to use that would be great.I already got the time (part 1 of 4) to equal 3.3135sec but despite using the right equations etc I can't get the other three parts.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ball was thrown horizontally. How far did it travel horizontally? Over what time? What can change the horizontal velocity?

What's its initial y-velocity? What could change the y-velocity?

gneill said:
The ball was thrown horizontally. How far did it travel horizontally? Over what time? What can change the horizontal velocity?

What's its initial y-velocity? What could change the y-velocity?

Accelerationg would change it, and I tried the answer (online homework) in both negative and positive?? The initial y-velocity goes unstated.

liagee said:
Accelerationg would change it, and I tried the answer (online homework) in both negative and positive?? The initial y-velocity goes unstated.

Acceleration would change what in particular?

The ball was thrown horizontally. What does that mean for the x and y components of the initial velocity?

What equation describes the x-position with respect to time? How about the y-position?

gneill said:
Acceleration would change what in particular?

The ball was thrown horizontally. What does that mean for the x and y components of the initial velocity?

What equation describes the x-position with respect to time? How about the y-position?

Acceleration would change the velocity only in the y-direction. Acceleration and therefore velocity in the x-direction remain constant, with accelerationx=0 m/s.

[itex]\Delta[/itex]s=vit + .5 (a)(t2)

Thanks so much!

Actually that didn't work either -___-

liagee said:
Actually that didn't work either -___-

Didn't work for what? You'll have to be more specific. There are several parts to the problem. What are you trying to find first?

Sorry if I missed it. What's Defenestration?

Sorry if I missed it. What's Defenestration?

1. Why is my defenestration homework not going well?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the topic, not enough practice, or not following the correct steps. It is important to identify the specific issue and address it accordingly.

2. What is the most challenging aspect of defenestration homework?

The most challenging aspect of defenestration homework is understanding the different concepts and techniques involved in the process. It requires a thorough understanding of physics and calculations, as well as proper execution of the steps involved.

3. How can I improve my performance in defenestration homework?

To improve your performance in defenestration homework, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or classmates if you have any doubts. It is also helpful to break down the process into smaller steps and understand each step thoroughly.

4. Are there any common mistakes students make in defenestration homework?

Yes, some common mistakes students make in defenestration homework include not understanding the concepts, not showing all the necessary steps, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and seek help if you are unsure about any step.

5. How important is defenestration homework in understanding the concept?

Defenestration homework is crucial in understanding the concept as it allows students to apply the principles they have learned in class to real-life scenarios. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills and reinforcing the understanding of the topic.