1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Deferment/Reserve of NSF GRFP?

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has had experience deferring the NSF GRFP for only one year. I will be in graduate school, but I have a first-year fellowship so I would like my GRF to begin in my second year.

I am slightly confused by the vocabulary in their FAQ - it seems like "deferment" is not allowed, but there is an option called "reserve". I'm wondering if I would just be in "reserve" for a year, or what. And several others on other forums have done this but don't mention how. Do you accept the award first and then change the status? Do I need to contact them?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Call/Email them, worst case they may tell you to reapply for next year prior to the end of your first year of graduate school before you become ineligible. They typically don't allow deferrals (with some exceptions)... see here: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12062/nsf12062.pdf (Outdated, maybe 2016 is different?)

Also see...
    So can you reserve the first year and then use the other fellowship? I don't know about all the rules...not if it's another federal fellowship..

You might be able to... but again, call and make sure.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  4. Mar 30, 2016 #3

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It depends on your department. Mine makes you use it even with the first year fellowship. However, if that is not the case I am pretty sure you could do that because you can choose the years you use the funding. For example, I know someone who used it for his first year but not his second year because his advisor gave him an RA. Basically every year you complete an annual report and then are asked if you want to use another year of funding.

5. Mar 30, 2016 #4
    Oh, interesting. From this thread and others it seems like what the technical term is is "reserve" and not "defer", so for each GRFP award there are 5 years, two of which are "reserve" and three of which are "tenure". So it should be do-able. It's interesting, radium, that some schools require you to use it the first year.

Thank you for all of the info!

6. Mar 30, 2016 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the other Fellowship from the DoE?

7. Mar 30, 2016 #6
    No, it's a diversity-type thingy from the graduate school.

8. Mar 30, 2016 #7

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you should be able to reserve the government one the first year, assuming it's not somehow connected to the DoE or another government agency.. I'd call and make sure.

9. Mar 30, 2016 #8

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Ok so it's a departmental fellowship. You should talk to the grad chair then, I'm sure they have dealt with this before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted