• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Other Deferment/Reserve of NSF GRFP?

• Thread starter Dishsoap
  • Start date
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has had experience deferring the NSF GRFP for only one year. I will be in graduate school, but I have a first-year fellowship so I would like my GRF to begin in my second year.

I am slightly confused by the vocabulary in their FAQ - it seems like "deferment" is not allowed, but there is an option called "reserve". I'm wondering if I would just be in "reserve" for a year, or what. And several others on other forums have done this but don't mention how. Do you accept the award first and then change the status? Do I need to contact them?

Student100

Education Advisor
Gold Member
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone has had experience deferring the NSF GRFP for only one year. I will be in graduate school, but I have a first-year fellowship so I would like my GRF to begin in my second year.

I am slightly confused by the vocabulary in their FAQ - it seems like "deferment" is not allowed, but there is an option called "reserve". I'm wondering if I would just be in "reserve" for a year, or what. And several others on other forums have done this but don't mention how. Do you accept the award first and then change the status? Do I need to contact them?
Call/Email them, worst case they may tell you to reapply for next year prior to the end of your first year of graduate school before you become ineligible. They typically don't allow deferrals (with some exceptions)... see here: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12062/nsf12062.pdf (Outdated, maybe 2016 is different?)

Also see...
The Fellowship Period is five years maximum, unless there is a Military or Medical Deferral. The Fellowship provides up to three years of financial support (Tenure: Stipend and institutional Costof-Education Allowance) and up to two additional years (Reserve) with no financial support and continued access to other aspects of GRFP (international research opportunities, professional development pilot programs, XSEDE, etc.).
Reserve Status ensures that Fellows have the flexibility of incorporating professional development opportunities (e.g., research assistantships, teaching assistantships, internships, etc.) into their graduate programs. Fellows may use Reserve Status to postpone Fellowship Support for up to two years, in 12-month increments, during the five-year Fellowship Period. Fellows on Reserve Status must remain actively engaged in full-time research and/or coursework, leading to an eligible graduate degree in an NSF-supported field.
So can you reserve the first year and then use the other fellowship? I don't know about all the rules...not if it's another federal fellowship..

You might be able to... but again, call and make sure.

Last edited:

radium

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
It depends on your department. Mine makes you use it even with the first year fellowship. However, if that is not the case I am pretty sure you could do that because you can choose the years you use the funding. For example, I know someone who used it for his first year but not his second year because his advisor gave him an RA. Basically every year you complete an annual report and then are asked if you want to use another year of funding.

Oh, interesting. From this thread and others it seems like what the technical term is is "reserve" and not "defer", so for each GRFP award there are 5 years, two of which are "reserve" and three of which are "tenure". So it should be do-able. It's interesting, radium, that some schools require you to use it the first year.

Thank you for all of the info!

Student100

Education Advisor
Gold Member
Oh, interesting. From this thread and others it seems like what the technical term is is "reserve" and not "defer", so for each GRFP award there are 5 years, two of which are "reserve" and three of which are "tenure". So it should be do-able. It's interesting, radium, that some schools require you to use it the first year.

Thank you for all of the info!

Is the other Fellowship from the DoE?

Student100

Education Advisor
Gold Member
No, it's a diversity-type thingy from the graduate school.
Then you should be able to reserve the government one the first year, assuming it's not somehow connected to the DoE or another government agency.. I'd call and make sure.

radium

Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Ok so it's a departmental fellowship. You should talk to the grad chair then, I'm sure they have dealt with this before.