Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Define a function z = f(x,y) by f(0,0) = 0 and otherwise?

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    please help me with this. At least some thing to start solving.....

Define a function z = f(x,y) by f(0,0) = 0 and otherwise.

f(x,y) =(x^2 y) / (x^2+y^2 )

a. Show that in polar coordinates this function may be expressed (for r≠ 0) as z = r 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ)

b. Show that if θ is fixed then the graph is given by z = mr, a line of slope
    m= 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ).
    (Note that this says that the surface z = f(x,y) is what is called a ruled surface.)

c. Compute the directional derivatives of z in the θ direction. Does Df exist at the point (0,0)? Explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi matthew! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

start with "a."

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3

Start for noting that in polar coordinates, [itex]x=r\cos\theta\,\,,\,\,y=r\sin\theta[/itex] , so substitute and get (a) at least . Now show some self effort.

DonAntonio

5. Apr 25, 2012 #4
    Thanks DonAntonio,

thanks for showing me the path. I almost completed the part a and b. have a confusion about the part c. here Df means the derivative of the f. Do you have any idea about that one?

Thanks again for helping me. I appreciate what you did. As you gave me before I just need a hint to proceed, not the whole proof. thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook