Define a function z = f(x,y) by f(0,0) = 0 and otherwise?

• Thread starter matthewturner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, z = r 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ) in polar coordinates has a line of slope m= 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ).
matthewturner
please help me with this. At least some thing to start solving...

Define a function z = f(x,y) by f(0,0) = 0 and otherwise.

f(x,y) =(x^2 y) / (x^2+y^2 )

a. Show that in polar coordinates this function may be expressed (for r≠ 0) as z = r 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ)

b. Show that if θ is fixed then the graph is given by z = mr, a line of slope
m= 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ).
(Note that this says that the surface z = f(x,y) is what is called a ruled surface.)

c. Compute the directional derivatives of z in the θ direction. Does Df exist at the point (0,0)? Explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi matthew! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

start with "a."

matthewturner said:
please help me with this. At least some thing to start solving...

Define a function z = f(x,y) by f(0,0) = 0 and otherwise.

f(x,y) =(x^2 y) / (x^2+y^2 )

a. Show that in polar coordinates this function may be expressed (for r≠ 0) as z = r 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ)

b. Show that if θ is fixed then the graph is given by z = mr, a line of slope
m= 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ).
(Note that this says that the surface z = f(x,y) is what is called a ruled surface.)

c. Compute the directional derivatives of z in the θ direction. Does Df exist at the point (0,0)? Explain.

Start for noting that in polar coordinates, [itex]x=r\cos\theta\,\,,\,\,y=r\sin\theta[/itex] , so substitute and get (a) at least . Now show some self effort.

DonAntonio

Thanks DonAntonio,

thanks for showing me the path. I almost completed the part a and b. have a confusion about the part c. here Df means the derivative of the f. Do you have any idea about that one?

Thanks again for helping me. I appreciate what you did. As you gave me before I just need a hint to proceed, not the whole proof. thanks again.

a. To express the function in polar coordinates, we can substitute x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ) into the function. This gives us:

f(r cos(θ), r sin(θ)) = (r^2 cos^2(θ)sin(θ)) / (r^2) = r 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ)

b. To show that the graph is given by z = mr, we can rewrite the function in terms of r and θ:

z = r 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ) = (r sin(θ)) 〖cos〗^2 (θ) = mr

This shows that the graph is a line of slope m = 〖cos〗^2 (θ)sin(θ).

c. The directional derivative of z in the θ direction can be computed using the formula:

Df = (∂z/∂θ) = (∂f/∂x)(∂x/∂θ) + (∂f/∂y)(∂y/∂θ)

Substituting in the values for x and y in terms of r and θ, we get:

Df = (r sin(θ) cos(θ))(-r sin(θ)) + (r cos^2(θ)) (r cos(θ)) = -r^2 sin^2(θ) - r^2 cos^2(θ)

Therefore, the directional derivative in the θ direction is dependent on the value of θ.

At the point (0,0), the directional derivative does not exist because the function is not continuous at this point. This is because the function is defined as 0 at (0,0), but as r approaches 0, the function approaches infinity. Therefore, the function is not differentiable at (0,0) and the directional derivative does not exist.

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two or more variables, where the value of one variable (the dependent variable) is determined by the values of the other variable(s) (the independent variable(s)). In other words, a function is a rule that assigns a unique output value to each input value.

2. What is the purpose of defining a function with a specific value at a point?

Defining a function with a specific value at a point, also known as an initial condition, allows us to uniquely determine the function and its behavior. This is helpful when studying the function, as it provides a starting point and can help us make predictions about the function's behavior.

3. How is a function defined using f(x,y)?

A function can be defined using f(x,y) by expressing the relationship between the variables x and y. This can be done using a mathematical equation or formula, where the values of x and y are used to calculate the output value, f(x,y).

4. What is the significance of the function being defined as f(0,0) = 0?

The significance of f(0,0) = 0 is that it tells us the value of the function at the point (0,0). This allows us to determine the behavior of the function near this point and make predictions about its behavior in the surrounding area. It also helps us establish a baseline for the function's behavior.

5. Can a function be defined by more than two variables?

Yes, a function can be defined by any number of variables. In fact, many real-world phenomena involve multiple variables, and so functions with more than two variables are often used to model and understand these phenomena.