Define Organic Compounds As Polar Or Nonpolar

In summary: Thanks for clarifying!In summary, the first question is asking which compounds are nonpolar and the answer is 1, 2 and 3. The second question is asking which compounds are polar and the answer is 2, 3 and 5.
fishes
1.Which of the following compounds are nonpolar?

1) decene

2) decanal

3) 3-methyl-2-decene

4) 1,2-pentanediol

5) cyclohexanol

Select one:
a. 1,2 and 3 only
b. 1 and 2 only
c. 3,4 and 5 only
d. 1,2,3 and 5 only
e. 1 and 3 only

2. Which of the following compounds are polar?

1) 2-butyne

2) propanal

3) propanamide

4) 3-aminopentane

5) 3-heptene

Select one:
a. 2, 3 and 5 only
b. 1, 3 and 5 only
c. 3,4 and 5 only
d. 1,2,4 and 5 only
e. 2, 3 and 4 only

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1. For this question I'm tossing up between a and d. I'm pretty confident on 1, 2 and 3 because they are hydrocarbons without any functional groups that can donate protons. I know cyclohexanol has a OH functional group which is very polar but the fact that it's not soluble in water is throwing me off. I would probably go with A at the moment.

2. For this one I'm going with E as 5 is an alkene without any functional groups which means it is nonpolar. This cancels out A-D.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
fishes said:
I'm pretty confident on 1, 2 and 3 because they are hydrocarbons without any functional groups that can donate protons

You don't need a group donating protons for molecule to be polar. Chloromethane is polar.

Likes fishes
Borek said:
You don't need a group donating protons for molecule to be polar. Chloromethane is polar.
Good to know! I don't think that changes any of my answers though so were they right?

fishes said:
I don't think that changes any of my answers

It does ;)

Analyze the first question again.

Does that mean cyclohexanol isn't polar so the answer would be 1.D and 2.E ? Thanks for all the help by the way!

No, cyclohexanol is polar (all alcohols are, just like products of their oxidation).

Well if A and D are wrong for 1 I assume it's between B and E? In that case I would go with E as aldehydes are a lot more polar than alkenes?

E would be my answer.

Sounds good but I thought that aldehydes were considered to be pretty nonpolar which would mean decanal would be nonpolar as well as its the simplest 10 carbon aldehyde?

They are definitely more polar than hydrocarbons. Carbonyl itself is quite polar.

Likes fishes

1. What are organic compounds?

Organic compounds are molecules that contain carbon atoms bonded to hydrogen atoms. They are the basis of life and are essential for the functioning of living organisms.

2. What makes a compound polar or nonpolar?

A compound is considered polar if it has a dipole moment, which means that there is an unequal distribution of electrons within the molecule. This results in one end of the molecule being slightly positive and the other end being slightly negative. A nonpolar compound, on the other hand, has an equal distribution of electrons and no dipole moment.

3. How are polar and nonpolar compounds different?

The main difference between polar and nonpolar compounds is their solubility in different types of solvents. Polar compounds are soluble in polar solvents, such as water, while nonpolar compounds are soluble in nonpolar solvents, such as oil. This is due to the tendency of like molecules to attract each other, known as "like dissolves like."

4. Can an organic compound be both polar and nonpolar?

Yes, some organic compounds can exhibit both polar and nonpolar characteristics. This is because they may contain both polar and nonpolar functional groups, resulting in an overall intermediate polarity.

5. Why is it important to know if a compound is polar or nonpolar?

It is important to know the polarity of a compound because it affects its physical and chemical properties. For example, polar compounds tend to have higher melting and boiling points and are more soluble in water, while nonpolar compounds have lower melting and boiling points and are insoluble in water. Understanding the polarity of a compound can also help in predicting its behavior in reactions and interactions with other substances.