1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Define Organic Compounds As Polar Or Nonpolar

1. Oct 4, 2014 #1
    1.Which of the following compounds are nonpolar?

1) decene

2) decanal

3) 3-methyl-2-decene

4) 1,2-pentanediol

5) cyclohexanol

Select one:
    a. 1,2 and 3 only
    b. 1 and 2 only
    c. 3,4 and 5 only
    d. 1,2,3 and 5 only
    e. 1 and 3 only

2. Which of the following compounds are polar?

1) 2-butyne

2) propanal

3) propanamide

4) 3-aminopentane

5) 3-heptene

Select one:
    a. 2, 3 and 5 only
    b. 1, 3 and 5 only
    c. 3,4 and 5 only
    d. 1,2,4 and 5 only
    e. 2, 3 and 4 only

3. The attempt at a solution

1. For this question I'm tossing up between a and d. I'm pretty confident on 1, 2 and 3 because they are hydrocarbons without any functional groups that can donate protons. I know cyclohexanol has a OH functional group which is very polar but the fact that it's not soluble in water is throwing me off. I would probably go with A at the moment.

2. For this one I'm going with E as 5 is an alkene without any functional groups which means it is nonpolar. This cancels out A-D.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You don't need a group donating protons for molecule to be polar. Chloromethane is polar.

4. Oct 4, 2014 #3
    Good to know! I don't think that changes any of my answers though so were they right?

5. Oct 4, 2014 #4

Borek

It does ;)

Analyze the first question again.

6. Oct 4, 2014 #5
    Does that mean cyclohexanol isn't polar so the answer would be 1.D and 2.E ? Thanks for all the help by the way!

7. Oct 4, 2014 #6

Borek

No, cyclohexanol is polar (all alcohols are, just like products of their oxidation).

8. Oct 4, 2014 #7
    Well if A and D are wrong for 1 I assume it's between B and E? In that case I would go with E as aldehydes are a lot more polar than alkenes?

9. Oct 4, 2014 #8

Borek

E would be my answer.

10. Oct 5, 2014 #9
    Sounds good but I thought that aldehydes were considered to be pretty nonpolar which would mean decanal would be nonpolar as well as its the simplest 10 carbon aldehyde?

11. Oct 5, 2014 #10

Borek

They are definitely more polar than hydrocarbons. Carbonyl itself is quite polar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted