Defining Open Subsets in Baby Rudin

• Thread starter gwsinger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary: A subset G is open if and only if for every point in G there is an open ball that contains that point. This is the definition given by Rudin.(3) A subset G is open if and only if for every point in G there exists an open interval that contains that point.Question: In what situations is it possible for a subset of a metric space to be open but not be an open set?
gwsinger
The following two definitions are taken directly from Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis.

(1) OPEN SUBSET DEFINITION: If [itex]G[/itex] is an open subset of some metric space [itex]X[/itex], then [itex]G \subset X[/itex] and for any [itex]p \in G[/itex] we can find some [itex]r_{p} > 0[/itex] such that the conditions [itex]d(p,q) < r_p[/itex], [itex]q \in X[/itex] implies [itex]q \in G[/itex].

(2) RELATIVE OPENNESS DEFINITION: Suppose [itex]E \subset Y \subset X[/itex]. We say that [itex]E[/itex] is open relative to [itex]Y[/itex] if for each [itex]p \in E[/itex] there is associated an [itex]r_p > 0[/itex] such that [itex]q \in E[/itex] whenever [itex]d(p,q) < r_p[/itex] and [itex]q \in Y[/itex].

1. Couldn't we just say that [itex]E[/itex] is open relative to [itex]Y[/itex] if and only if [itex]E[/itex] is an open subset of [itex]Y[/itex]? Rudin never flat out says this but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

2. Suppose [itex]X[/itex] has an isolated point [itex]i[/itex] and it happens that [itex]i \in G[/itex]. While it's true that this would preclude [itex]X[/itex] from being an open set (since an open set must be comprised solely of internal points and [itex]i[/itex] is an isolated point), wouldn't it still be a possibility that [itex]G[/itex] could be an open subset of [itex]X[/itex]? After all, it's (trivially) true that for [itex]i[/itex] we could find some ball [itex]B[/itex] that satisfies the condition set forth in the definition (1) above. If this is true, wouldn't it follow that an open subset is not necessarily itself an open set?

Physics news on Phys.org
gwsinger said:
The following two definitions are taken directly from Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis.

(1) OPEN SUBSET DEFINITION: If [itex]G[/itex] is an open subset of some metric space [itex]X[/itex], then [itex]G \subset X[/itex] and for any [itex]p \in G[/itex] we can find some [itex]r_{p} > 0[/itex] such that the conditions [itex]d(p,q) < r_p[/itex], [itex]q \in X[/itex] implies [itex]q \in G[/itex].

(2) RELATIVE OPENNESS DEFINITION: Suppose [itex]E \subset Y \subset X[/itex]. We say that [itex]E[/itex] is open relative to [itex]Y[/itex] if for each [itex]p \in E[/itex] there is associated an [itex]r_p > 0[/itex] such that [itex]q \in E[/itex] whenever [itex]d(p,q) < r_p[/itex] and [itex]q \in Y[/itex].

1. Couldn't we just say that [itex]E[/itex] is open relative to [itex]Y[/itex] if and only if [itex]E[/itex] is an open subset of [itex]Y[/itex]? Rudin never flat out says this but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

True. But you need to make Y a metric space first, but that's not very hard to do.

2. Suppose [itex]X[/itex] has an isolated point [itex]i[/itex] and it happens that [itex]i \in G[/itex]. While it's true that this would preclude [itex]X[/itex] from being an open set

X is the entire metric space? Then X is open.

The notion of internal point is somewhat confusing I guess. But if i is isolated, then {i} is always open. This means that i is an internal point of every set!

gwsinger said:

Let X be all the real numbers. Let Y be the natural numbers. Let E be the singleton E={0}.
E is a closed set (with respect to X). But it is open relative to Y. Why? Let p be an element of E (there is only one choice). Pick r = 1/2. Suppose n is a natural number satisfying d(p,n) < 1/2. Then the only choice is n = 0, which is in E.

The statement is true if you say "E is an open subset of Y when Y is a metric space by itself". The point is that Y as a subset of (X,d) is different from (Y,d).

2. Suppose [itex]X[/itex] has an isolated point [itex]i[/itex] and it happens that [itex]i \in G[/itex]. While it's true that this would preclude [itex]X[/itex] from being an open set (since an open set must be comprised solely of internal points and [itex]i[/itex] is an isolated point), wouldn't it still be a possibility that [itex]G[/itex] could be an open subset of [itex]X[/itex]? After all, it's (trivially) true that for [itex]i[/itex] we could find some ball [itex]B[/itex] that satisfies the condition set forth in the definition (1) above. If this is true, wouldn't it follow that an open subset is not necessarily itself an open set?

Every metric space X is an open subset of X. This is trivial from Def 1: just set G=X and write out the definition in full.

Thanks for your responses. I had some serious misconceptions about metric spaces that your examples help me clear up. Here are some conclusions (and one question) I've come up with:

(1) Whether a subset [itex]G[/itex] is open is partially a function of its ambient space [itex]X[/itex]. Pwsnafu's example shows this for [itex]X = \mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex]Y = \mathbb{N}[/itex], and [itex]E = \{0\}[/itex].

(2) There is more to a metric space than its underlying set. One reason why [itex]E[/itex] can be open relative to [itex]Y[/itex] but not an open subset of [itex]X[/itex] is that the distance function [itex]d_1[/itex] for [itex]<X,d_1>[/itex] can be different than the distance function [itex]d_2[/itex] for [itex]<Y,d_2>[/itex]. For example, let [itex]X = \mathbb{R}^2[/itex], let [itex]Y = \mathbb{R}^1[/itex], and let [itex]E = (a,b)[/itex]. Then we have [itex]E[/itex] as open relative to [itex]Y[/itex] but not an open subset of [itex]X[/itex] since the two-dimensional distance function in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is different than the one-dimensional distance function in [itex]\mathbb{R}^1[/itex].

But now I have a question of convention: I assume that when we say "[itex]E[/itex] is open relative to [itex]Y[/itex]" we use the distance function that corresponds with [itex]Y[/itex] (in this case [itex]d_2[/itex]) to determine this openness, and similarly, when we say that some set [itex]G[/itex] is an open subset of [itex]X[/itex], then we will use the corresponding distance function for [itex]X[/itex] (in this case [itex]d_1[/itex]). Am I correct on this?

gwsinger said:
But now I have a question of convention: I assume that when we say "[itex]E[/itex] is open relative to [itex]Y[/itex]" we use the distance function that corresponds with [itex]Y[/itex] (in this case [itex]d_2[/itex]) to determine this openness, and similarly, when we say that some set [itex]G[/itex] is an open subset of [itex]X[/itex], then we will use the corresponding distance function for [itex]X[/itex] (in this case [itex]d_1[/itex]). Am I correct on this?
Yes, but I would prefer to say "open with respect to d2" instead of "open with respect to Y", since there could be other metrics on the set Y. "open with respect to (Y,d2)" would of course make sense too.

1. What is the definition of an open subset in Baby Rudin?

An open subset in Baby Rudin refers to a subset of a metric space that does not contain any of its boundary points. In other words, for any point in the subset, a small enough open ball around that point will still be contained entirely within the subset.

2. How is an open subset different from a closed subset?

An open subset differs from a closed subset in that it does not include its boundary points, while a closed subset includes all of its boundary points. In other words, an open subset has no points on its edge, while a closed subset has points on its edge.

3. Can an open subset be empty?

No, an open subset cannot be empty. By definition, an open subset must contain at least one point. If it were to be empty, it would not satisfy the condition of not containing any of its boundary points.

4. How are open subsets important in analysis and topology?

Open subsets play a crucial role in both analysis and topology. In analysis, open subsets are used to define the concepts of continuity and convergence. In topology, open subsets are used to define the topology of a given space. They also allow for the study of properties such as connectedness and compactness.

5. Are open subsets unique?

No, open subsets are not unique. In fact, there can be infinitely many open subsets in a given space. This is because for any point in a subset, a smaller open ball can be constructed around that point, creating a new open subset. Therefore, open subsets are not unique and can vary in size and shape.