Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defining scalar product from norm

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1

mma

Euclidean norm is defined usually as|v|2= g(v,v), where g is a nondegenerate, positive definite, symmetric bilinear form. But how can make it backwards? What properties must norm have that g(v,w) = (|v+w|2 - |v|2 - |w|2)/2 be a positive definite, symmetric bilinear form?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The parrallelogram identity
    (1/2)(|x+y|^2+|x-y|^2)=|x|^2+|y|^2
    Watch out
    (1/2)(|v+w|^2 - |v|^2 - |w|^2)
    is not the form of an inner product over other fields or with different conjugations
    for example the complex inner product is
    <v|w>=(1/2)(|v+w|^2 - |v|^2 - |w|^2)+(i/2)(|v+iw|^2 - |v|^2 - |w|^2)
    where i*i=-1

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

mma

Cool! Thanks! Now I see that this is a theorem of von Neumann and Jordan. Is the proof very long? I haven't found it anywhere, only remarks that it is complicated enough. Do you know if it is available somewhere online?

5. Dec 12, 2008 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

If you have access tohttp://www.jstor.org (perhaps from a school of library) you can access these

A Characterization of Inner Product Spaces
    Neil Falkner
    The American Mathematical Monthly, Vol. 100, No. 3 (Mar., 1993), pp. 246-249 (article consists of 4 pages)
    Published by: Mathematical Association of America

On Inner Products in Linear, Metric Spaces
    P. Jordan and J. V. Neumann
    The Annals of Mathematics, Second Series, Vol. 36, No. 3 (Jul., 1935), pp. 719-723 (article consists of 5 pages)
    Published by: Annals of Mathematics

or you could track down hardcopy at a univercity library.

The proof is a few pages, you may be able to do it yourself. Here is a start
    4<x|y>+4<z|y>=2|x+y|^2+2|z+y|-2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2
    =|x+2y+z|^2+|x+y|^2-4|y|^2
    =4<x+z|y>

Homogeneity is harder, it is obvious that
    <r x|y>=r <x|y>
    when r is rational
    when r is real more is needed (like Cauchy-Swartz)

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5

mma

Thank you!

7. Dec 13, 2008 #6

mma

Sorry, but this seems false (subststitute for example y=z=0, x<>0).

I made a derivation, perhaps isn't too elegant, but I hope that good:

[tex]4<x|y>+4<z|y>[/tex] applying the defiition of scalar product:

[tex]=2|x+y|^2+2|z+y|^2 -2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2[/tex] applyig the parallelogram law to (x+y) and (z+y):

[tex]= |x+2y+z|^2 + |x-z|^2 -2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2[/tex] applyig the parallelogram law to (x+y+z) and (y):

[tex]= 2|x+y+z|^2 - |x+z|^2 + 2|y|^2 + |x-z|^2 -2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2[/tex] applyig the parallelogram law to x and z:

[tex]= 2|x+y+z|^2 - |x+z|^2 + 2|y|^2 + 2|x|^2 + 2|y|^2 - |x+z|^2 -2|x|^2-4|y|^2-2|z|^2[/tex]

[tex]=2|x+y+z|^2-2|x+z|^2-2|y|^2[/tex] applying the defiition of scalar product:

[tex]=4<x+z|y>[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?