1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a group with redundancy?

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I would define a group as follows:

A group consists of a non-empty set G together with a binary operation (say, *) on G such that the following axioms hold:

G1.....G2....G3...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know this is a trivial question, but doesn't a binary operation on a set (here G) necesserily imply that the set is closed under that binary operation? The only reason i ask is that many of the definitions of groups I have come across include both that * is a binary operation under which G is closed. Isn't this redundant?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It all depends on how you define a binary operation. I would define it as a function

[tex]*:G\times G\rightarrow G[/tex]

If you define a binary operation like that, then the property you mention is indeed redundant.

I guess, that many authors include that property because most readers aren't yet ready to view a binary operation as a function. So to make it easy on them, they include the axiom that G is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook