1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of a limit of a sequence

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the definition of a limit to prove that lim [(1+an)-1] = 1/2 if lim an = 1.

2. Relevant equations

([itex]\forall[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]>0)([itex]\exists[/itex]N[itex]\in[/itex]N)(n[itex]\geq[/itex]N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]|an-L|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution

Let [itex]\epsilon[/itex] be arbitrary. Since lim an exists, [itex]\exists[/itex]N[itex]\in[/itex]N such than |an-1|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]'.

My professor helped me a bit, but once we started comparing two different epsilons, I couldn't follow him anymore. He said to choose [itex]\epsilon[/itex]'< 1/2 since 1/2 < an, but I don't understand why we can say that the sequence is greater than or equal to 1/2 since we only know the value of its limit.

Any help would be appreciated, I've always had a hard time with the rigorous definitions.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF.

Let me try to read his mind.
    Since lim an exists, ∃N∈ such than |an-1| < ϵ'.

Letting ϵ' = 1/2, since it is arbitrary, gives: |an-1| < 1/2  → -1/2 < an-1 < 1/2

Therefore, 1/2 < an < 3/2.  It's the 1/2 < an you're interested in.

If an > 1/2, then 2(an + 1) > 3  → [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2(a_n+1)}<\frac{1}{3}[/itex]
    That should be handy in working with |(1+an)-1 - 1/2|, when you write that as one fraction with a common denominator.

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3
    So then, we have showed that 1/(1+a_n) < epsilon'/3 < epsilon', but is this the end of the proof? I guess my question is, when does the other epsilon come in? or is epsilon' just our other epsilon in disguise? Thank you so much! I could use a mind-reader for this professor :)

5. Oct 14, 2011 #4
    Also, if you wouldn't mind--(this homework is due in an hour, so this is more for my understanding)--in general, how do we know how to choose epsilon so that it will give us the result we are looking for? Is there a reason choosing epsilon'=1/2 was particularly useful for this problem?

6. Oct 14, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that's not the complete proof.

Let ε' = min(ε, 1/2)

Then you have N∊ such that for n > N, |an-1| < ε' ≤ 1/2
    This leads to 1/(2|an+1|) < 1/3.

Also, for n > N, |an-1| < ε' ≤ ε

Put them together, & you get (the desired quantity) < ε/3 < ε​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook