Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of conditional probability density

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    Hello, I'm somewhat confused by the expression [itex]f(X = x | Y = y) = \frac{f(X=x)}{f(Y=y)}[/itex] (which, if I'm right, is the definition of a conditional probability density? My course seems to state it as a theorem, without proof, but then again my course is a little bit vague; although I welcome replies on this part, this is not the essential of this topic)

Anyway, the confusion is the following: let the s.v. Y be the s.v. X, then of course [itex]f(X = a | X=b)[/itex] should be zero if a is not equal to b (if the expression means what it is meant to mean), however it is equal to [itex]\frac{f(X = a)}{f(X=b)}[/itex] and there's no real reason why this should be zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your definition is incorrect. Let A and B be events, then P(A|B) = P(A and B)/P(B).

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    Oh chucks that was stupid of me :) thank you...

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4
    While we're at it, could you suggest me how to prove the following? (NOT a homework question)

[itex]f(X_1 = x_1, \dots, X_n = x_n, X_{(n)} = a) =\left\{
    \begin{matrix}
    f(X_1 = x_1, \dots, X_n = x_n) & \quad \text{if max($x_1, \dots, x_n$)$=a$}\\
    0 & \quad \text{otherwise}\\
    \end{matrix} \right.[/itex]

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5
    Could you explain the notation X(n)?

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6
    My apologies, I should have:

it is the n-th order statistic,
    i.e. [itex]X_{(n)} := \textrm{max}(X_1,\dots,X_n)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook