Deflecting recorded telephone calls?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, there are hardware solutions available for automatically answering calls and requiring the caller to press a key before the phone rings. These solutions, such as those used by Raspberry Pi and Arduino enthusiasts, can block pre-recorded spam calls but may also filter out non-spam calls unless specific numbers are specified. However, these solutions may not be effective against human spammers and scammers, and there is a risk of blocking legitimate calls as well.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Is there any type of telephone answering hardware that provides a simple way to automatically answer a call and require that the caller press some key before it let's the phone ring?

Such hardware would filter out recorded advertising calls. Of course, it would also filter out non-advertising recorded calls, like reminders of dental appointments or notifications that prescriptions are ready at a pharmacy.

(I'm talking about an answering machine with that feature - not a "service" that one would purchase from the phone company or other company.)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Raspberry Pi enthusiasts might have a solution similar to what you'd like:
http://lifehacker.com/5981063/block...od-with-the-raspberry-pi-powered-banana-phone

Arduino enthusiasts might have something similar.

But as you say, such solutions are likely to also block non-spam calls too (e.g., dental appointments, prescription notifications) by default. Maybe you could specify a set of "safe" caller ID numbers to pass through, but I don't know that level of detail is in the solutions (then again, with a bit of programming, perhaps you could code up a working solution).

That right there will get rid of the pre-recorded robo-callers. But be careful with this:

It won't necessarily get rid of all the human spammers and scammers though. In my case, most of the humans that call on my landline are spammers or scammers* and if they can press the code, well, then they get through.

What's more, every once in awhile I get a call from a human (also calling from an Outbound WATS line) that I actually do want to talk to (rarely do I wish to talk to anybody calling from an Outbound WATS line, but it does happen from time to time). The human on the other end may or may not have the opportunity to punch in the appropriate code to continue/they or they might not hear the appropriate instructions to proceed. So keep that in mind.

*I seem to be a prime target of scammers for some reason. I started a thread about that awhile ago. Just last week I got a new type of scam call that was quite convincing -- thank goodness I didn't fall for it. But I should save that for a different thread.

Last edited:

1. How does call deflecting work?

Call deflecting works by redirecting incoming calls to a different phone number or voicemail. This can be done through a call forwarding feature on the phone or through a call deflecting service provided by the phone company.

2. Can I deflect calls from specific numbers?

Yes, most call deflecting systems allow you to block calls from specific numbers. You can either manually input the number or use a call blocking feature to automatically reject calls from certain numbers.

3. Is call deflecting the same as call forwarding?

No, call deflecting is different from call forwarding. Call forwarding allows you to redirect calls to a different phone number, while call deflecting redirects calls to voicemail or a different phone number if the call goes unanswered.

4. Are there any downsides to call deflecting?

One potential downside to call deflecting is that the caller may still be charged for the call, even if it is redirected to voicemail. Additionally, if the call is redirected to a different number, you may incur additional charges for forwarding the call.

5. Can I use call deflecting to screen my calls?

Yes, call deflecting can be used as a form of call screening. If you do not want to answer a call, you can redirect it to voicemail or a different number. This allows you to avoid unwanted calls or calls from unknown numbers.