Deflection in a Simply supported beam

In summary, the beam is overloaded and the calculated deflection is incorrect. The beam has a yield strength of 26970 - 109910 psi for carbon steels.
pukb
Hi All

As shown in the attached image, I have a simply supported beam with a load of 150kN acting at the center of the beam span.
E = 210 GPa
rho = 7800 kgm-3
span = 250 mm

After solving this in FE solver, I got maximum displacement to be ~4mm (at node 52)
But, on using the theoretical relation of delta = P* l^3 / (48*E*I), it is about ~11mm.

Can somebody please help me on this ? how to co-relate this.

Some observations:
1. There is no hourglassing.
2. Beam looks compressed by about 0.8mm at the center at the end of solution.

Attachments

• ss_beam.png
    ss_beam.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 633
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just eyeballing your problem, it appears you have a short, deep beam with a central load applied. The standard beam formulas for deflection are generally applicable to long slender beams where shear deflection doesn't need to be taken into account. The standard formulas are also approximations which assume that the slope of the beam in the deflected condition is very small. Without knowing more about the cross section of you beam, I can't provide any more insight into your dilemma.

Cross section:
Thickness = 2mm
height = 50 mm

pukb said:
Hi All

As shown in the attached image, I have a simply supported beam with a load of 150kN acting at the center of the beam span.
E = 210 GPa
rho = 7800 kgm-3
span = 250 mm

After solving this in FE solver, I got maximum displacement to be ~4mm (at node 52)
But, on using the theoretical relation of delta = P* l^3 / (48*E*I), it is about ~11mm.

Can somebody please help me on this ? how to co-relate this.

Some observations:
1. There is no hourglassing.
2. Beam looks compressed by about 0.8mm at the center at the end of solution.

pukb said:
Cross section:
Thickness = 2mm
height = 50 mm

Doing some simple calculations, your simply supported beam is wildly overloaded, with the calculated bending stress lying far outside the elastic range for the material used to construct it. Therefore, any deflections you are calculated using the deflection formula for a simply supported beam are certainly incorrect. The deflection your FE solver is giving you is suspect as well: this beam should probably have snapped in two.

Code:
Beam test:

L = 250 mm

depth = 50 mm
width =   2 mm

E = 210 GPa

P = 150 kN @ L/2

Simple supports

M = PL/4 = 150 kN * 0.25/4 = 9375 N-m

d = PL^3/(48EI)

I = (1/12)*0.002*0.05^3
I = 2.083E-8 m^4

d = 150000(0.25)^3/(48*210*10^9*2.083*10^-8)

d = 0.0111 m = 11.1 mm deflection

sigma = My/I = 9375 * 0.025 / 2.083*10^-8

sigma = 1.125*10^10 Pa = 11.25 GPa bending stress

yield strength = 186-758 MPa for steel

1 MPa = 145 psi

yield strength = 26970 - 109910 psi for carbon steels

1. What is deflection in a simply supported beam?

Deflection in a simply supported beam refers to the amount of bending or deformation that occurs when a beam is subjected to external loads. It is a measure of how much the beam will sag or bend under the applied load.

2. What causes deflection in a simply supported beam?

Deflection in a simply supported beam is caused by the distribution of external loads along the length of the beam. As the load is applied, the beam experiences bending moments and shear forces, which cause it to deform and deflect.

3. How is deflection calculated in a simply supported beam?

The deflection in a simply supported beam can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which takes into account the beam's material properties, dimensions, and the applied loads. The deflection can also be determined experimentally using strain gauges or other measuring devices.

4. How does the beam's material affect deflection in a simply supported beam?

The material properties of the beam, such as its modulus of elasticity and yield strength, play a significant role in determining the deflection. A stiffer and stronger material will experience less deflection compared to a more flexible and weaker material.

5. Can deflection be reduced in a simply supported beam?

Yes, deflection in a simply supported beam can be reduced by using a stiffer and stronger material, increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, or by adding additional support points along the length of the beam. Additionally, reducing the applied load or distributing it more evenly can also help reduce deflection.