Simply supported beam with a spring support in the middle - deflection

FEAnalyst
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate the maximum deflection of a simply supported beam with spring support in the middle when it's subjected to uniformly distributed load ?
Hi,

I'd like to calculate the maximum deflection of a simply supported beam with spring support in the middle and UDL (uniformly distributed load) acting on the whole beam:

beam scheme.JPG

Here's my derivation, starting from the known formula for maximum deflection of a simply supported beam with UDL and no spring: $$\delta_{b}=\frac{5 \left( \frac{F}{L} \right) L^{4}}{384EI}$$ $$k_{b}=\frac{F}{\delta_{b}}=\frac{384EI}{5L^{3}}$$ $$k_{t}=k_{b}+k_{s}=\frac{384EI}{5L^{3}}+k_{s}$$ $$\delta_{t}=\frac{F}{k_{t}}=\frac{5FL^{3}}{384EI+5kL^{3}}$$

The problem is that when I substitute the data: ##F=2000 \ N##, ##L=500 \ mm##, ##E=210 \ GPa##, ##I=\frac{a^{4}}{12}=\frac{12^{4}}{12}=1728 \ mm^{4}##, ##k=100 \ \frac{N}{mm}##

the result is: $$\delta_{t}=\frac{5 \cdot 2000 \cdot 500^{3}}{384 \cdot 210000 \cdot 1728+5 \cdot 100 \cdot 500^{3}}=6.1928 \ mm$$

while from FEA, I get: ##5.1796 \ mm## and I believe this result is correct. What's wrong with my formula ?

Interestingly, I got a very good agreement for the same case with a concentrated force in the middle instead of UDL (using the same approach, just a different base formula for the deflection of the beam). Does it mean that the ##q=\frac{F}{L}## conversion is incorrect here ? How should I treat it then ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think this should help you figure out how to do it:

Well, I guess that I could use one of the standard methods to calculate the deflection of this statically indeterminate beam from scratch but I don’t know how to treat the spring. Also, the aforementioned simple approach based on the known formula for the deflection of a beam without a spring works well for the case with concentrated force in the middle so it seems that it’s just a matter of properly accounting for the UDL. Unless this simplified approach won’t work with UDL but I hope it’s not the case.

Lnewqban said:
Would this approach to a different situation be useful to yours?

https://mathalino.com/reviewer/strength-materials/problem-709-propped-beam-spring-support
Thank you very much. Using this approach, I get: $$\delta=\frac{5qL^{4}}{384EI}=8.9705 \ mm$$ $$\delta - \delta_{s}=\delta_{R}$$ $$8.9705- \frac{R}{k}=\frac{RL^{3}}{48EI}$$ $$8.9705- \frac{R}{100}=\frac{R \cdot 500^{3}}{48 \cdot 210000 \cdot 1728}$$ $$R=522.26 \ N$$ $$\delta_{s}=\frac{R}{k}=\frac{522.26}{100}=5.2226 \ mm$$ so pretty close to the simulation result. I also substituted everything and rearranged the equation to get a single formula: $$\delta_{s}=\frac{5qL^{4}}{384EI+8kL^{3}}$$

Likes Lnewqban and jack action
You should have 4 equations to work with:

$$ \uparrow^+ \sum F = R_A - wL -k y|_{x=L/2}+R_B = 0 $$

$$ \circlearrowright^+ \sum_{A} M = k y|_{x=L/2} \frac{L}{2}+ wL \frac{L}{2} - R_BL = 0 $$

Elastic Eqn's:
$$ EI \theta = \frac{R_A x^2 }{2} -\frac{w x^3}{6} + C_{\theta} \tag{slope}$$

$$ EI y = \frac{R_A x^3 }{6} -\frac{w x^4}{24} + C_{\theta}x + C_y \tag{deflection}$$

with conditions:

##y|_{x=0} = 0##

##\theta|_{x=L/2} = 0 ##

by evaluating ## y|_{x=L/2}## I believe you can combine all these to solve the system.

Last edited:
When I solve the system I get:

$$y_c=−\frac{5}{8}\left( \frac{wL^4}{ 48EI+kL^3} \right) \approx−5.22~ \rm{mm} $$

$$ R_A=R_B=\frac{1}{2}(ky_c+wL) \approx 738.9 ~\rm{N} $$

$$ Fc=−ky_c \approx 522.2 ~\rm{N} $$

EDIT: I found an algebra error. I see this agrees with the result in #5

Last edited:

1. What is a simply supported beam with a spring support in the middle?

A simply supported beam with a spring support in the middle is a structural element that is supported at both ends, typically on simple supports like rollers or hinges, and has an additional support in the form of a spring located at the midpoint. This spring provides vertical support and can affect the beam's deflection characteristics under load.

2. How does the presence of a spring in the middle affect the deflection of the beam?

The spring support in the middle of a simply supported beam introduces additional vertical stiffness. This means that the beam's deflection due to applied loads is generally less than it would be without the spring. The stiffness of the spring counteracts the load applied, distributing the deflection more evenly across the beam or concentrating it away from the center, depending on the spring's characteristics and the load's nature.

3. How can the deflection of a simply supported beam with a spring support be calculated?

To calculate the deflection of a simply supported beam with a spring support in the middle, you typically use the principles of structural analysis, considering both bending of the beam and the spring's force-deflection relationship. The calculation involves solving the differential equations of the beam's bending under load, incorporating the spring's stiffness (k), represented as a force per unit deflection. Methods such as the superposition principle or numerical solutions like the finite element method may be employed depending on the complexity.

4. What factors influence the effectiveness of a spring in reducing beam deflection?

The effectiveness of a spring in reducing beam deflection is influenced by several factors, including the spring's stiffness (k), the placement of the spring (optimal at midspan for uniform load distribution), the type and magnitude of the load applied, and the material and geometric properties of the beam itself (like modulus of elasticity, moment of inertia, length, and cross-sectional area). A stiffer spring generally provides greater reduction in deflection.

5. Are there any practical applications or examples where this type of beam configuration is used?

Yes, simply supported beams with spring supports are used in various engineering applications where control over deflection is crucial. Examples include bridges where additional supports are needed temporarily during construction or in machinery where precision alignment is critical under load. This setup is also used in experimental setups for research and testing of materials and beam theories.