Bucklig: deflection at Euler load

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the horizontal deflection of a free end of a vertical clamped beam that is loaded with a horizontal force and a vertical force. The initial deflection and additional deflection are calculated, but the deflection does not diverge even when the force is greater than the Euler buckling load. It is noted that this may be due to a modification needed for the Euler critical load when lateral and axial loads are applied simultaneously.
Jef124
Hello

I was trying to calculate the horizontal deflection of the free end of vertical clamped beam. The beam would be loaded at the free end with a horizontal force [itex]H[/itex] and a vertical force [itex]P[/itex]. My idea was to calculate an initial deflection due to the force [itex]H[/itex]. Then calculate the additional deflection due to the previous deflection and the force [itex]P[/itex]. I'd expect that when the force [itex]P[/itex] is bigger than the Euler buckling load that the deflection would diverge but that's not happening when I try to calculate this.

I tried it on a beam with a length [itex]L[/itex] of 6 m, stiffness [itex]EI = 1476600 Nm^2[/itex] ([itex]E=69 GPa[/itex], [itex]I=2140 *10^4 mm^4[/itex], [itex]H=1 kN[/itex]. I calculated that the Euler buckling load [itex]P_{cr}=(Pi)^2EI/(2L)^2=101,20 kN[/itex] and used a way bigger [itex]P=5000 kN[/itex].

For the initial deflection I used [itex]v_0=(1/3EI)HL^3=4,87607 *10^{-5} m[/itex]. For the next iteration steps I used [itex]v_i=v_0 + (1/3EI)L^2P*v_{i-1}[/itex] which eventually converges to [itex]v=5,08259 * 10^{-5} m[/itex] instead of diverging.

I know 5000 kN isn't a realistic value and that the beam would probably yield with such a high load but shouldn't this diverge?

Also for loads smaller than the Euler buckling load, is this the right way to calculate the deflection? If not what would be a good way then?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jef124 said:
Hello

I was trying to calculate the horizontal deflection of the free end of vertical clamped beam. The beam would be loaded at the free end with a horizontal force [itex]H[/itex] and a vertical force [itex]P[/itex]. My idea was to calculate an initial deflection due to the force [itex]H[/itex]. Then calculate the additional deflection due to the previous deflection and the force [itex]P[/itex]. I'd expect that when the force [itex]P[/itex] is bigger than the Euler buckling load that the deflection would diverge but that's not happening when I try to calculate this.

I tried it on a beam with a length [itex]L[/itex] of 6 m, stiffness [itex]EI = 1476600 Nm^2[/itex] ([itex]E=69 GPa[/itex], [itex]I=2140 *10^4 mm^4[/itex], [itex]H=1 kN[/itex]. I calculated that the Euler buckling load [itex]P_{cr}=(Pi)^2EI/(2L)^2=101,20 kN[/itex] and used a way bigger [itex]P=5000 kN[/itex].

For the initial deflection I used [itex]v_0=(1/3EI)HL^3=4,87607 *10^{-5} m[/itex]. For the next iteration steps I used [itex]v_i=v_0 + (1/3EI)L^2P*v_{i-1}[/itex] which eventually converges to [itex]v=5,08259 * 10^{-5} m[/itex] instead of diverging.

I know 5000 kN isn't a realistic value and that the beam would probably yield with such a high load but shouldn't this diverge?

Also for loads smaller than the Euler buckling load, is this the right way to calculate the deflection? If not what would be a good way then?

Thanks in advance

I'm just taking a quick glance at the situation you are trying to analyze here.

The usual formulas for the Euler buckling load are derived assuming that the only force applied is applied in the axial direction. I think the situation you are describing here is for what is called the buckling of a beam-column, since lateral and axial loads are being applied simultaneously to the tip of the cantilever. The Euler critical load must be modified in this case over that calculated for a simple column with no loads applied in the lateral direction.

There are methods for analyzing such beam-columns, but it will take a little research to confirm what is required.

Further to the discussion in Post #2 above, this article discusses the effect on the deflection of a laterally loaded member caused by an axial load. See pp. 5-6 for a discussion of the effect:

Attachments

• C_Column_interaction_Slender2.pdf
    211.2 KB · Views: 579
I didn't realize I couldn't use Euler buckling for my situation. Thank you!

1. What is buckling?

Buckling is the sudden failure of a structural member due to compressive stress, causing it to bend or buckle rather than hold its shape.

2. How does buckling occur?

Buckling occurs when a structural member, typically a column or beam, is subjected to a compressive load that exceeds its critical load, known as the Euler load. This causes the member to deflect or bend, leading to instability and failure.

3. What is deflection at Euler load?

Deflection at Euler load refers to the amount of bending or deformation that a structural member experiences when it reaches its critical load, also known as buckling load or Euler load. This deflection is often calculated using the Euler buckling equation.

4. How is buckling prevented?

Buckling can be prevented through proper design and reinforcement of structural members to withstand the expected compressive loads. This can include increasing the cross-sectional area, using stronger materials, or adding support systems such as braces or trusses.

5. What are some real-world examples of buckling?

Buckling can occur in many different structures, from buildings and bridges to aircraft and spacecraft. Some famous examples include the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in 1940 and the failure of the Space Shuttle Challenger in 1986.