Degeneracy of the Quantum Linear Oscillator

• Thread starter mavanhel
  • Start date
So, today while doing my homework for statistical mechanics I was reading about the quantum linear oscillator in the textbook, "Classical and Statistical Thermodynamics" by Ashley H. Carter. In it, after discussing the quantized energy it says:

"Note that the energies are equally spaced and that the ground state has a 'zero-point' energy equal to [tex]\frac{hv}{2}[/tex]. The states are nondegenerate in that [tex]g_{j} = 1[/tex] for all [tex]j[/tex]."

The book gives no further clarification on this point as, but I was wondering why the degeneracy for this problem is one for all states.

This problem occurs at the beginning of chapter 15, "The Heat Capacity of a Diatomic Gas" and makes the following considerations:
  • consider an assemply of N one-dimensional harmonic oscillators.
  • The oscillators are loosely coupled (ie. small energy exchange between them).
  • The oscillators are free to vibrate in one dimension freely.

This does not tell us anything about the degeneracy, so why is this system nondegenerate?

Answers and Replies

DrClaude
Mentor
The vibration of a diatomic is modelled as a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator, for which there is a single eigenfunction for each eigenenergy. There is nothing more to it.