1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree in Physics to PhD in Computer Science

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    I've read various post on this matter here actually. However I'll do some rant on my story:

I'm currently a masters student (quantum physics, with maybe 60-70% programming content). I always had an interest in how computer works but I did not got into the CS degree. Now, I am planning for my phd studies. I've engaged into astrophysics which requires very intensive programming - modelling solar systems. This should include a big chuck of numerical and computational stuffs (which I am familiar of).

Yesterday, I had a chance to talk to some technopreneuer, which one of them are doing data analytics from social network. It involves big data analysis and I found it very interesting. In fact, I may not be able to imagine a future in astrophysics (what is the significance of my research?) but I can imagine a world where analysing big data can be useful for decision making.

I understand that I sounds completely crazy now, but:

0. I've imagine big data analysis to use AI or statistical method to process information. But beyond that I am yet to have any idea what I'm saying.

1. Do I have a shot on continuing my PhD in CS? especially in big data analysis.

2. If yes, where should I start? I might be able to get a GRE in CS to prove my competencies after self studying on most important subjects: database, Data structure, OS etc.

Anyway, I'm comfortable with programming but I do not have background in CS. I'm mainly a C programmer with experience in Perl/Python/Matlab/PHP/SQL. I've took 600x in www.edx.org, and passed with 99%.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2
    Hm.. Anyone had any insight regarding my situation? I have looked around and it seems the field I'm interested in is coined "data scientist". Lucrative, booming, much like quant..

4. Feb 23, 2013 #3
    Well... I have heard of many physicists getting jobs outside their major field, especially electronics or programming companies. I think that is very doable, since you have some experience in CS. Maybe you will have to take a couple of remedial courses.

5. Feb 23, 2013 #4
    I got my phd in theoretical particle physics and currently work for a consulting firm doing "big data" type stuff.

6. Feb 23, 2013 #5
    Ah. That's a relief to know there's some examples here in PF. To further my question, in your case it's PhD Physics -> "big data". Would you say your phd had been helpful in your career? I am currently considering phd. Would a phd in CS (eg AI/NLP/etc) be more helpful than physics phd?

7. Feb 25, 2013 #6
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, my officemate while I was in a PhD program for CS was an undergraduate physics major. So yes, it is possible to get into graduate school for CS with a physics degree, as long as you have a sufficient background in CS as well.

As a non-CS major, you will have to show that you know about computers. A good score in the GRE would be good, and hopefully even as a physics major, you took a few courses in computers. A demonstrated programming background would also be helpful... have you worked professionally as a C programmer, or have you just done things with C at school?

8. Feb 25, 2013 #7
    Thanks for your encouraging response! Sadly, no I don't have professional C programming experience. I was a tutor back then, but that was just it. I'll work towards it.

9. Feb 25, 2013 #8
    Unfortunately, I don't know how exactly my officemate got in, so I can't give you any additional advice. He was one of the best programmers I ever met though, so I'm sure he found some way to convey this to the admissions committee.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook